The purpose of this procedure is to ensure that sponsored accounts (i.e., computer accounts that are designed to be used by applications or groups) are authorized, created, maintained and deleted in an effective manner
At the University of Houston-Clear Lake, members of the faculty and staff are provided with a computer identity (i.e., a user name and a password in the UHCL domain) upon their arrival as a matter of course. For accountability purposes, it is our intent that this personal computer identity be used by the faculty or staff member to perform virtually all of their University-related business functions.
However, there are occasions when specific departmental circumstances require the creation of a special computer identity in the UHCL domain referred to as a “sponsored account”. The word “sponsored” is used to indicate that these accounts must be requested and managed by an active member of the UHCL faculty or staff who will be considered the sponsor of the account.
Sponsored accounts are typically created for:
- Application programs that need a computer identity to connect one or more of the University’s supporting systems (e.g., databases),
- Groups of individuals sharing a job function who may use the sponsored account to:
- Receive and reply to email from their constituents, or
- Share folders and files related to their department, work group or project team, or
- Individuals who are not members of the faculty or staff, but who need to collaborate with a specific work group or project team.
- Click the following link to download form-id003a-sponsored-account-request
- Fill-in the proposed sponsored account name, the business justification for creating the account, your computer account user name, your printed name, and signature in the spaces provided.
- Your supervisor must also sign and date the form, signifying his or her approval.
- Once the request form is completed to that point, submit the form to the UCT Support Center.
- The appropriate UCT representative will review the information on the form for completeness and will determine if the proposed sponsor account name is available.
- If the proposed sponsored account name is unavailable, you will be asked to pick another name.
- If there are no issues with the form's content and the proposed sponsored account user name is available, the UCT representative will sign and date the form and enter any comments that he or she may deem necessary.
- The UCT representative will then submit the form to the University's Information Security Officer (ISO) for approval.
- If the ISO has any issues with the request, the ISO will contact you to explore alternatives.
- Once all of the identified issues are resolved, the ISO will sign and date the form and will enter any comments deemed necessary. The ISO will keep the original version of the form as a record.
- A copy of the approved form will be returned to the appropriate member of the UCT staff who will ensure that the account is created.