This procedure is intended to be used by individuals who would like to install University-licensed software on their home computers for University-business purposes. It should be noted that the request may only involve software for which the license agreement permits such use.
All software licensed by the University of Houston-Clear Lake must be used in accordance with the terms of its license agreement. Unless otherwise specified in the license, any distribution or duplication of copyrighted software, except for backup and archival purposes by the software manager or designated department personnel, is a violation of copyright law and is contrary to University of Houston-Clear Lake’s standards of conduct.
On occasion, the University has purchased software with license agreements that permit members of the University’s faculty and staff to use a copy of the software on their home computers for University-business purposes only. This procedure and its associated form will be used to track these requests and ensure that the requestor understands and agrees to abide by the terms and limitations of its use to protect the University’s interests.
- Click the following link to download form-sr002a-request-to-install-university-licensed-software-on-a-personally-owned-device
- Fill in the “Requestor”, "Request date", "Department", "Supervisor's name", "Software title", "Version" and "Operating system" fields, and check the appropriate "Medium" box.
- Have your supervisor initial next to his or her name.
- Review the terms of the agreement as stated on the form.
- If you understand and agree to the terms, sign and date the form.
- Submit the form to UCT Technical Services.
- An authorized member of UCT Technical Services will determine if the software is licensed for home-use.
- If the requested software is not licensed for home-use, the request is denied ending the procedure. If it is licensed for home-use, the procedure continues.
- The UCT Technical Services representative will enter his or her name, and will sign and date the form.
- The software will be provided to the requestor by way of the appropriate medium.
- The requestor is responsible for the installation and maintenance of the requested software on his or her computer - No technical support will be provided by UCT in association with work-at-home use.
- If the requestor's employment is terminated, or the University's license agreement is cancelled or no longer permits home-use, the requestor must must remove the software from his or her personally-owned device immediately.
- When the software is uninstalled, any media and documentation provided must be returned to UCT Technical Services.
- Upon receipt of the media and documentation, the UCT Technical Services representative will enter a return date on the form.