This procedure is to be used by anyone who obtains a University-provided computer to request the specific privilege level that the user would like his or her computer account to have on the device.
In the "Information Security Basics" section of this web site, the "Administrator vs. User Privileges" article highlights the differences between having your computer account set up with user-level privileges and having it set up with administrator-level privileges. The article also describes why having your computer account configured with user-level privileges is preferable to configuring it with administrator-level privileges. The primary reason is that, when your computer account is assigned administrator-level privileges, any malicious software that is activated while you are logged in would inherit the privilege level of the computer account that is logged into the computer at the time. If that computer account has administrator-level privileges to the computer, then so will the malicious software which would allow it to do virtually anything to your computer. If your computer account is configured with user-level privileges, any malicious software that is activated during your session would have significantly limited capabilities.
However, while we strongly recommend that you have your computer account configured with user-level privileges, we understand that there are certain circumstances that require your computer account to have administrator-level privileges to a specific workstation. Thus, the privilege request form that is used by this procedure does allow you to request elevated privileges in cases where such privileges are justified.
- Click the following link to download form-rm001a-user-administrator-privilege-selection.
- Make sure that you are familiar with the differences between the privilege levels, and the UCT recommendation.
- Fill-in the computer name, your computer account user name, host name and your printed name, and then sign and date the form in the space provided.
- If you choose to follow the UCT recommendation to have your computer account set up with user-level privileges, initial the form and submit it to your Technical Services representative who will configure your account on the system.
- If your use of the computer requires that your computer account be configured with administrator-level privileges on the computer that is named on the form, select one or more of the business justification check boxes and provide any information requested by the form that is associated with the check boxes selected.
- Submit the form to your Technical Services representative who will submit the form to the University's Information Security Officer.
- All requests for administrator-level privileges must be approved by the University's Information Security Officer.
- If the request is approved, your Technical Services representative will schedule a time with you to modify your account privileges.