Important COVID-19 Resources
The Support Center and Academic Computing Labs will not be checking out laptops for on-campus student use until further notice.
For the convenience of our students, the SSCB 2201 and Pearland 104 Open Labs are open for this fall starting August 24th. Delta 205, Bayou 3608, and STEM 1201 open labs are closed until further notice. See the complete lab hours.
Online Teaching, Learning, & Working
The Instructional Technology Team maintains a dynamic list of resources for both students and faculty.
Web Conferencing & Virtual Meetings
We have several tools available for your call conferencing needs. Zoom, Blackboard Collaborate, Microsoft Teams, Cisco Jabber, and a suggested free resource are available to meet just about any audio or video need.
VPN and Remote Desktop
Access fileshares and connect to your desktop computer while working remotely with CISCO AnyConnect (VPN/Remote Desktop).
Computers at home
As laptops are limited, we are asking faculty and staff who have access to technology, personal or otherwise, to use the Cisco VPN and remote into their work computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. This method will get employees to access to all their network and desktop files.
If this is not possible, staff and faculty can take their desktop computers home after completing the following steps.
- Obtain approval from supervisor
- Complete the Asset Management Authorization for Off Campus Property Form.
- Confirm with the Support Center that your computer is ready for home use.
Buy Software for Home
A couple of local internet service providers are reducing rates and provide free public access .
- Locate a free Xfinity Hotspot
- Comcast's new Offer (free)
- Internet Essentials from Comcast
- Two Month Free High Speed Internet Access
- Sixty (60) days free broadband and Wi-Fi access for households with K-12 and/or college students who don’t already have a Spectrum broadband subscription
- No installation fees for new households
- Enroll by calling 1-844-488-8395
- Free and Low Cost Internet Plans
- AT&T COVID-19 Response
- Your mobile service provider may allow you to use your phone as a hot spot. Check with your provider for more information.
We recommend checking with your supervisor and administrators for possible reimbursement for such services.
The EpocCam Pro app allows you to use your iOS (iPhone) or Android phone as a USB or WiFi connected webcam.
Antivirus Software for Your Home Computer
You may choose:
- Microsoft Defender: available on Win 10. Activated with Windows, can be turned on and off by control panel> Windows Defender Firewall
- Most ISPs provide virus protection for their customers
- Sophos: https://home.sophos.com/en-us.aspx
- Norton and other discount antivirus software: purchase from our website at Buy Software for Home Use
Keep Your Home Computers Clean
The department or individual should purchase consumable items, such as keyboards, mice, webcams, etc. based on need. OIT can help fast-track this process.