Student Instructional Technology Support
OIT's Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) team coordinates with the OIT Support Center to provide assistance to students with Canvas and other instructional technologies. Students are encouraged to contact the Support Center with their questions and concerns about applications, including Canvas, Blackboard Ally, Zoom, Echo360, and online proctoring tools.
Reporting a Technology Problem to the Support Center
If you have questions, contact the Support Center at 281-283-2828 or email@example.com. When reporting a technical issue to the Support Center, please include:
- Your name and student ID number.
- Your UHCL email address.
- The rubric, course number, section number, and instructor of the course in which you experienced the issue. For example, please state that the problem "occurred in INST 3313.04, taught by Mrs. Opalenik," rather than the problem "occurred in my Canvas class."
- The location within the Canvas course at which you experienced the problem. For example, please state that "I was trying to submit an assignment called Midterm Essay, which is located in the Assignments area of the course," rather than, "I couldn't submit my assignment."
- The date and time at which the problem occurred.
- One or more screen captures of any error messages that you received or that demonstrate the issue that you are reporting, if possible.
- As much information as possible about the device that you were using at the time the
problem occurred. Critical information needed to troubleshoot your problem includes:
- Device Type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, smart phone, etc.)
- Location (e.g., at UHCL, at home, at work, at Starbucks)
- Internet Connection (wireless or wired; dial-up, cable, DSL)
- Operating System and Version (e.g., MacOS 10.10, Windows 8.1)
Web Browser and Version (e.g., Firefox 45.0.2,Chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 m)
The more information that you can provide when you report the issue, the faster we will be able to resolve your problem. Please note that no one in the Support Center or on the OIT Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) team can reset, clear, or otherwise alter an assignment submission or test/quiz attempt without written (email) permission of the course instructor.
OIT's Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) team maintains a separate Canvas Student Support page on which you can find additional information, including instructions on how you can self-enroll in an online Canvas training course for students.
Online Proctoring Resources
UHCL currently employs two proctoring applications, ProctorU and Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor, that faculty may elect to employ for their online tests, quizzes, and exams. Detailed information and tutorials for both proctoring tools are available on the IDT team's Online Proctoring Resources Page.
IMPORTANT! Although both ProctorU and Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor are integrated with UHCL's Canvas system, both proctoring tools are hosted and maintained offsite by the vendors of those products. Technical issues related to ProctorU or Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor must be submitted by students to the specific vendor's support team:
- Respondus - Use the 24/7/365 Live Chat Support for Students or Open a Support Ticket with Respondus
- ProctorU - ProctorU wants you to know that they are always available to help! You can always start a live chat by logging into your ProctorU account and clicking the chat icon on the lower right side of your screen, opening a support ticket, or calling (855) 772-8678.
Echo 360 Resources
There will be a link to Echo360 within your Blackboard course if your instructor is using the program. Students must access Echo360 through the link in a Blackboard course the first time that they use it. Once accessed through the Blackboard link, future logins can be done from either from within Blackboard or from the Echo360 login page.
All UHCL students have access to a Zoom fully licensed account which can be used to hold group study sessions, virtual student organization meetings, and collaboration on group projects with your classmates. To activate your UHCL Zoom account, start by logging into go.uhcl.edu and sign in using your UHCL email address and password. Then, click the Zoom tile to access Zoom. For self-help documents, use the Getting Started link, located at the bottom of the login page.
- Video: Zoom Meetings for Education
- Quick Start Guide - Note: Disregard the information under "Signing up and activating your Zoom account" and "Signing in to your Zoom account on the web." UHCL students should always login through the go.uhcl.edu, rather than using Zoom's general login page.
- Zoom Video Tutorials
Blackboard Ally Resources