Department: College of Science and Computer Engineering
Location: CSE Labs or other designated locations
Position: CSE Graduate Teaching Assistant
Ref: CSE Teaching Assistants for an explanation of employment requirements for TAs.
How to Apply
A completed application requires the following:
- Your completed Career Services CSE TA application submitted online.
- You must use your UHCL email account for all TA application related correspondence.
- CSE Graduate Teaching Assistant Position Description
- Graduate teaching assistants are graduate students who spend at least 50 percent of the time of their appointment in direct instructional contact with students.
- Graduate teaching assistants work under the direct supervision of a faculty member.
- Students employed as graduate teaching assistants qualify for out-of-state tuition waivers for each semester they are employed at 0.50 FTE.
- Familiarity with area of assigned course(s)/instructor(s) responsibility (i.e., software, equipment, technology, course, etc.).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Current enrollment in physics graduate program or bachelor's degree in physics
- Enrolled in a CSE degree program for at least 6 hours for long semesters or at least 3 hours for Summer.
- In good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.
- No honesty code violation(s) on file or in progress.
- Approved Candidate Plan of Studies (CPS) within 30 days of beginning work.
Deadline: Open until filled.
- Incomplete applications are not considered.
- Students should apply only if they are available during the scheduled semester times/dates.
- A social security number is required before being allowed to work. Students offered employment must be available in-person and on-campus to process this requirement. It cannot be done by anyone but the student.
- The international student's I-20 must be active for the entire semester for which the student is applying. International students are not allowed to work if their I-20 is not active.
- Students, put the semesters you are available for the TA position on the application.
- Positions start 7 days before the first day of classes and end on the scheduled semester closing date.
- Two weeks before the semester start date, Assistants attend meetings, finalize access requests, meet with faculty, complete employment paperwork, request SSN, etc. Attendance at the pre-semester meetings and local availability for processing required HR paperwork is mandatory.
- Holiday(s) conform to UHCL holidays.
- $1,350 total for summer semester; paid in 2 installments
- $2,700 total for Fall semester; paid in 4 installments of $675 each
- $2,700 total for Spring semester; paid in 4 installments of $675 each
Hours per Week
- Working Hours: 20 hours/week
- Hours are to be spent on departmental duties mainly in the CSE labs and/or designated locations.
Preferred Work HoursThe work schedule may include evening and weekend hours. Please list your availability on the application.