- Precor Treadmills
- Concept 2 Rowers
- Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainers
- Exercise Bikes
- Exercise Bikes
- Adaptive Motion Trainer (AMT)
- Free Weights
- Plyo Boxes
- Olympic Platforms
- Medicine Balls
- Stability Ball
Hours of Operations
- Academic year normal operating hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday: 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Sundays – Closed
- If the University is closed, the Fitness Room is closed.
- Reduced hours will be used throughout the year during University breaks or days prior
to holiday breaks.
- A comprehensive schedule for the Fitness Room is posted outside of the Fitness Room.
Help us keep this a safe and clean environment for everyone. Failure to do so may result in you being asked to leave the facility or may lead to the suspension of your privileges in the fitness room. Those utilizing Campus Recreation programs, services and facilities are held accountable to the Student Life Policies/Student Code of Conduct, including complying with reasonable directions of university officials performing their duties.
- To utilize the Fitness Room you must present your UHCL ID card.
- All participants must complete a PAR-Q and university waiver and indemnification form prior to your first workout on a yearly basis. These waivers are valid for one academic year (August 14, 2017 – August 31, 2018).
- You do get one (1) “freebie” per semester if you forget your card (but you must still have a valid photo ID and know your banner/membership number).
- Don’t let others use your UHCL ID card. If you do, the card will be confiscated and both you and the cardholder may be suspended.
- Non-members under the age of 16 are not allowed into the Fitness Room.
Exception: Staff-guided tours and designated special events.
- Foul language is not permitted.
- If you have any special entry needs, talk to our Campus Rec staff.
We may ask you let others “work in” sets in the weight room and limit your time on cardio machines to no more than 30 minutes during peak times. Sharing is caring.
- Do not spit in water fountains or trash cans.
- Water fountains and water bottle refill stations are available in both locker rooms.
What to Wear
- To create a welcoming and inclusive environment the accepted attire is a t-shirt, tank top or sport top that covers the chest and torso including the back, shorts/pants must be worn at the waist.
- Jeans, zippers, belts, snaps, metal studs, and other materials on clothing that may damage equipment, upholstery or flooring are not permitted.
- For safety reasons, patrons must wear shoes in the facilities and are required to wear closed toed athletic rubber soled shoes in the activity areas. Patrons practicing yoga away from the free weight area may remove shoes while active but must put shoes back on if moving around the fitness room.
- Keep your belongings safe! Campus Recreation and Wellness is not responsible if they are lost or stolen.
Personal Belongings, Food and Drink
- Bags are not allowed in activity areas. Day use lockers are available in the locker rooms.
- All music devices must be personal music devices and not be audible for others.
The following items are prohibited: Tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs.
- Please be respectful of others.
- Water is OK (and recommended if you’re working out!) in all areas but must be in a re-sealable container.
- Food is not allowed in the activity areas.
- No glass containers.
- Report any equipment issues, injuries, or incidents to the Fitness Room staff.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed.
- Wipe down machines and benches when finished, including cardio machines.
- Re-rack weights and replace equipment when finished using them.
- All weights must be controlled through the lift and through the release. Dropping, banging, or slamming weights is not allowed. Repeated issues may result in your removal from the facility.
- Dropping a weight to avoid an injury is acceptable. Your safety is our number one priority.
- Collars are required during usage of barbells.
- Facility equipment cannot be moved or removed without approval from our Fitness Room
Exception: Moving benches in the free weight area is allowed if moved properly.
- If you break it, you fix it.
You will be responsible if facilities and/or equipment is damaged due to negligence or vandalism.
- Only authorized Campus Recreation staff may provide personal training services.
- Personal training is offered only when certified personal trainers are available. All paperwork, payments, and additional waivers will be made available in the Fitness Room or the Student Life Office.
- Complete the Personal Trainer Interest Form, to be placed on a waiting list.
The Fitness Room is a private space, therefore, photography and videography is strictly prohibited past the Welcome Desk. Requests to film or photograph within the Fitness Room must be sent to the Director for Campus Recreation and Wellness at least 48 hours in advance.
Filming or photography for class projects, newspapers, articles, and all other media must abide by this policy.
Once approved by the Director, all persons obtaining photos, videos, or other forms of media within the Fitness Room will be given a media pass. This pass must be worn and plainly displayed during the entirety of the photo/video shoot. Persons without an approved media pass will be asked to leave the room and must contact the Director for permission to reenter for media purposes.
All photography/videotaping must be done using care for patrons and personal privacy must be respected. If participants may be identified in any shot, their explicit permission must be obtained. Photo release waivers can be found in the Student Life Office for individuals or groups. Participants have a right to decline being in any shot.
Photography/videotaping may not be conducted in the locker rooms and restrooms.
Patrons' cell phones may be used to take photos or videos of themselves or friends working out within the facility and must remain for personal use only.
Photography of other guests without their explicit permission is strictly prohibited.
Guests taking photos or videos with their cell phone for personal use must not interrupt or cause any nuisance to others.
If Campus Recreation staff feel that a guest is abusing the cell phone privilege, they will be asked to put their phone away, or leave the Fitness Room if they continue to violate the policy.
Academic Class Photography and Videography
Health and Human Science classes that utilize the Fitness Room are allowed to photograph and video students for the purposes of class.
Non-UHCL Media Requests
All requests for media interviews and photography/videos of Campus Recreation and Wellness programs, the recreation facilities, and/or participants for commercial or academic media must be made in advance. This may be done via email or phone to the Director of Campus Recreation and Wellness.
Sales and solicitations are prohibited in the Fitness Room.
- ID must be logged into the Lost and Found Binder.
- All lost IDs are turned in to the Director of Campus Recreation’s office which is in the Student Life Office on the first floor of the SSCB. All lost IDs will be taken to the Director’s office the following morning.
- All confiscated IDs are brought to the Welcome Desk with a detailed incident report and attached to the Daily Report for the Fitness Room or Intramural Sports.
- All confiscated IDs will be taken to the Director of Campus Recreation’s office the following morning.
- Information from the Incident Report may be reported to the Dean of Students Office for escalated follow-up.
Lost and Found Property
- Any items found in or around the Fitness Room or at a facility being used for Intramural Sports will be turned into the Welcome Desk in the Fitness Room where the items will be logged.
- Any items left in the day lockers will be logged in as lost items at the close of business.
- Wallets, personal identification documents, valuables, and cell phones will be secured in the Director’s Office for one week. After one week, valuables will be turned in to the University of Houston–Clear Lake Police Department.
- Clothes, basketballs, towels, and other non-valuables will be stored in a container at the Welcome Desk in the Fitness Room. Unclaimed clothes, towels, or any other personal items will be donated after one month to a local charity.
- UHCL members can bring a guest no more than four (4) times a year.
- The UHCL member and guest must both be present at the time of entry and both parties
must have form of ID.
- Acceptable forms of ID Includes: Driver’s License, Passport, School ID card.
- Unacceptable forms of ID include: credit card, social media accounts, handwritten letters, forms, or documents.
- UHCL members who sponsor a guest are responsible for the actions of that guest(s) while they are in the facility and must remain with their guest(s) at all times.
- The guest must be at least 16 years old.
University of Houston-Clear Lake students, faculty/staff members, community/alumni members, and sponsored guests of members shall be permitted to participate in Departmental programs, activities, and services in accordance with the person's gender self-identification or expression.
The UHCL Department of Campus Recreation and Wellness will ensure that every student, faculty, staff, member, and sponsored guest has access to a locker room and bathroom facilities in a safe, comfortable, and convenient environment. Transgender individuals shall not be forced to use the locker room corresponding to their gender assigned at birth. Such accommodations could include, but are not limited to private area in the locker room in the fitness Room or in the SBCC.
Please contact the Director of Campus Recreation and Wellness at 281-283-2557 or email email@example.com with questions or individual cases requiring evaluation.
- for Full Time UHCL Faculty/Staff
University guidelines for application for the Fitness Release Time (FRT) program provide for time off without a reduction in pay or benefits to a maximum of 30 minutes a day, three (3) days per week.
The maximum “release time” allowed is 3 hours per week if FRT is combined with College Release Time, ESL or GED classes. FRT still shall not exceed 30 minutes a day up to 1.5 hours a week. The application must be approved in advance and must not interfere with operations of the employing department and may be suspended or eliminated during peak operational times.
Only full-time, benefits eligible, faculty and staff are eligible for Fitness Release Time. Supervisor reserves the right to change time requested or to decrease the amount of time approved due to operational considerations.
To participate, the employee:
- Must complete the Fitness Release Time Application and receive approval in advance.
- Must either:
- show proof of a membership through UHCL Campus Recreation, or
- show proof of a membership at an external facility, or
- pay $15 per semester/$45 annually to Campus Recreation.
Fitness Release Time Application Instructions:
- Complete the application form and submit it to your supervisor prior to any time off.
- Take the approved form with you to Student Life to pay fees
- Take form to Campus Recreation for signature.
The Director for Campus Recreation and Wellness office is located in the Student Life Office on the first floor of the SSCB.
- After obtaining all signatures, submit the form with a copy of your fee receipt to the Office of Human Resources.