Social media has become part of our everyday lives. Through sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat, users can interact with each other, create original content and participate in conversations. Other popular social media sites include LinkedIn, Wikipedia, Periscope, Pinterest, and the list grows daily.
University of Houston-Clear Lake supports active use of social media sites by colleges, departments, programs, centers and groups to engage and build relationships with students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff and community partners. Explore this page for resources and guidelines for official university social media sites.
The creation of university social media sites should be coordinated with UHCL Marketing and Communications. The office does not oversee the creation and maintenance of social media sites for student organizations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions, additional training, resources or assistance.
Key Questions Before Creating a UHCL Social Media Site
- What is your overall goal for having a social media site, and why is a social media site necessary for meeting your unit’s goals?
- Who is your target audience?
- What is your strategic plan for what you will be posting and responsibilities? (frequency, content, audience, etc.)
- Who will be responsible for the account?
Social media managers across campus representing the university should follow all related federal, state, system and university policies:
- UH System Social Media Policy
- UHCL Brand Guide
- UHCL Communications Guidelines
- Information Systems Policies
- Student Handbook
- Faculty Handbook
- State Linking Policy
- Authorization for Use of Image (Photo Release Form)