How to Apply as a International Transfer Student

  • International Deadlines
  • Fall

    Priority – March 1
    Final  – June 1

  • Spring

    Priority – August 1
    Final – November 1

  • Summer

    Priority – February 1
    Final – April 20

Students interested in qualifying for scholarships &/or applying for visas outside the U.S. should apply and submit the application documents/test scores by the priority deadline

International freshmen applicants will not be accepted for Summer semester.

Admission Requirements for Transfer Students

The transfer application process considers factors like the number of college credit hours on your transcript and your grade-point average (GPA).

Semester Credit Hours Required Cumulative GPA*
0-11 Must meet freshman admissions criteria.
12-29 2.75
30-44 2.25
45 or more 2.00
  • All grades earned from college-level courses, including repeated courses, are used to compute the transfer grade point average.
  • Applicable course work from regionally accredited U.S. institutions is accepted.
  • Other course work may be accepted by review on a case-by-case basis, if equivalent to course work offered at UHCL and applicable to appropriate programs.
  • Technical courses are not considered when calculating the number of hours completed.
  • Plus and minus grade designations are not used to determine the cumulative transfer GPA. Remedial or developmental course work is not used in the calculation of the transfer GPA.

If you are transferring to UHCL students having earned an Associate Degree, you may be admitted if:

  • That Associate of Arts, Associate of Arts in Teaching or Associate of Science degree is from regionally accredited institution; and/or
  • You are eligible to return immediately to the last institution you attended.

  Degree Programs with Exceptions

  • Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS), College of Business
  • Special Requirements
    1. Earned an Associate of Applied Science degree in an Allied Health-related field, and
    2. Are eligible to return to the last school attended
  • Track Offered
    BAS – Healthcare Services

  • Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS), College of Education
  • Special Requirements
    1. Earned an Associate of Applied Science degree in an Early Childhood program, or a minimum of 15 semester credit hours in an Early Childhood discipline, and
    2. Are eligible to return to the last school attended
  • Tracks Offered

    BAS – Educator of Young Children
    BAS – Young Children with Disabilities
    BAS – Early Childhood Program Leadership

  • Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.S.), College of Science and Engineering
  • Special Requirements
    1. Earned an Associate of Applied Science degree in Information Technology or a related field, or have a minimum of 15 semester credit hours in an IT or related discipline, and
    2. Are eligible to return to the last school attended
  • Track Offered
    B.A.S. – Information Technology*

*This plan is not available to UHCL freshmen. It is exclusively available to qualified transfer students seeking their first bachelor’s degree. Qualified transfer students must transfer a minimum of 33 hours which must include at least 15 hours of technical electives.

The RN to BSN program is designed specifically for licensed registered nurses seeking a BSN degree. The RN-BSN degree plan is offered two days of the week in a face to face classroom experience. The full-time program can be completed in three to five semesters.

  • RN-BSN Requirements and Deadlines
  • Admission Requirements
    • An Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN or AAS) or Diploma in Nursing
    • Cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all college course work attempted
    • Complete Anatomy and Physiology I, II and Microbiology with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
    • Complete all lower level nursing courses with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
    • A current unencumbered Texas RN License (verification from Texas Board of Nursing website)
  • Application Materials
    • Apply online and pay a non-refundable $45 application fee for domestic applicants and $75 for international applicants.
    • Submit official transcripts from every college or university attended. To expedite processing, request transcripts be sent electronically. Hand-delivered transcripts should not be more than 60 days old and in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. International applicants should review the Office of International Admissions website for additional details of application requirements.
    • Verification of Licensure from the Texas Board of Nursing to practice as an RN in Texas will be verified by the Nursing Office after application, transcript(s) and fee payments have been received. This document should not be submitted online through your To-Do List in E-services.
  • Deadline
    • Application for admission into the RN-BSN Program follow the same guideline as the University of Houston-Clear Lake general admissions dates for fall and spring semesters. For additional information, please visit the admissions website page at
  • Address

    Please send your documents to:
    Office of Admissions
    University of Houston-Clear Lake
    2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 13
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Please request your official transcripts be electronically sent to UHCL. This will ensure faster processing of application.

For more information regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at the Pearland Campus at or 281-212-1690.
  • BSW Admissions Criteria and Policies
  • Criteria
    • Completion of essential elements of Texas Core Requirements.
    • Completion of Introduction to Psychology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
    • Completion of Introduction to Sociology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
    • Completion of one of the following natural science courses: Human or General Biology; Anatomy & Physiology; Human or General Biology for non science majors; or The Human Body - complete with any associated lab.
    • Completion of SWRK 3301 - Introduction to Social Work with a grade of "C" or higher.
    • Completion of SWRK 3304 - Professional Issues and Ethics in Social Work with a grade of "C": or higher.
    • Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
  • Policy & Procedures
      1. Contact Dr. Heather Kanenberg ( or Dr. Roberta Leal ( for BSW advising as soon as possible.
      2. Obtain an application packet from Dr. Kanenberg, Dr. Leal, HSH advising office, or UHCL admissions office.
      3. The submitted application packet must include the following documents and information:
      • Application cover sheet
      • An unofficial copy of all college transcripts
      • 3 letters of recommendation from previous instructors or work supervisors
      • A 4-6 page autobiographical statement. Applicants should be certain that their autobiographical statement is a strong sample of their ability to express themselves in writing. The statement should include a description of the student's educational, work, and/or life goals, their personal and professional objectives, social work or human service experience, contact, exposure to, or experience with diverse groups and any other information the student believes may be important when considering their application for admission to the program.
  • Deadlines

    Applications accepted at any time.
    All materials must be submitted by August 1 for Fall admission and December 15 for Spring admission.

Steps to Apply

  1) Apply Online

Submit your application at by the application deadline.

  2) Pay the Application Fee

You must pay a non-refundable application fee of $75 USD through

Apply Now

  3) Submit your Transcripts by Mail

As a transfer applicant, you must provide the Office of International Admissions & Programs (OIAP) with:

  • Official transcripts, mark (grade) sheets and confirmation of degrees or diplomas (if applicable) for all academic studies attempted and completed at other college/universities. The type of documents required will vary based on educational system. You can contact us at for additional information regarding what documents you are required to submit.

You must submit these documents in the original language and English translations (if applicable).

  • Translations (word for word) will only be accepted from the college/university, consulate/embassy approved translators, translations conducted by an approved Evaluation Provider or American Translator Association.
  • This information must be received before the final evaluation can proceed.
  • Transcripts (mark/sheets) must clearly indicate dates of attendance, subjects taken and marks/grades earned.
  • All marks/grades should be submitted (even failed attempts).
  • Consolidated mark sheets will not be used and considered as official transcripts.
  • Official transcripts (grade/mark sheets) must be sent directly to the Office of OIAP by the registrar, principal, controller of examinations or responsible head of the office where records (such as degrees/diplomas and grades) are kept.

When this is not possible, documents certified by one of the following will be accepted as “true” or official copies:

  • Ministry of Education;
  • University authority such as Registrar, Principal, Controller of Examination, Vice Rector or Rector;
  • Education USA Official; or
  • Diplomatic Mission Representation in the U.S. such as Consulate, Chancellery, High Commission or Embassy.

NOTE: Copies of transcripts, degrees, or diplomas attested by Heads of Departments, Professors, or Notaries will not be accepted.

If you have taken courses at the university level outside of the U.S., you will also be required to submit one of the following:

  • Course-by-course Evaluation from a NACES accredited member.
  • Every course syllabi (in English) reflected on your transcripts.

You must post these documents to:
Office of International Admissions and Programs
2700 Bay Area Blvd, MC 225
Houston, TX 77058

  4) Submit your official Test Scores from the testing agency to UHCL

Proof of English Language Proficiency

If you were born or educated in a country where English is not the native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency prior to admission. You can meet this requirement by taking the paper or internet TOEFL exam, Intensive English Language Test (IELTS) exam, Pearson Test of English (PTE) or by successfully completing the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your minimum scores must be:

  • 550 on the paper-based TOEFL exam;
  • 79 on the TOEFL (iBT) exam;
  • 6.0 on the IELTS exam, 53 on the PTE exam; or,
  • You can successfully complete level 112 in the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your scores cannot be more than two years old and only those received directly from the testing company will be accepted. You can also review the academic catalog to determine if you qualify for a waiver of this requirement.

  5) Submit Your Financial Documents

U.S. immigration law requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to document their ability to pay the cost of attending (tuition, fees, housing, books, supplies, etc.) equal to one year of study.

Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months

  • Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
  • The amount should be at least equal to the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.

Acceptable financial documents include:

  • Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
  • Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
  • Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
  • Scholarship letters
  • Letters showing government funding

Unacceptable financial documents include:

  • Statements (including scholarship letters or government funding) older than 6 months
  • Bank statements lacking required tuition amount
  • Credit card statements
  • Employment letters
  • Tax statements
  • Bank statements or bank letters written in language other than English
  • Conditional loan statements

Affidavit of Support are required for international students who plan to apply for F-1 or J-1 visa status. Each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.

If you meet the academic admission requirements, your admission will not be finalized (documents for your student visa will not be issued) until your original financial documents are reviewed and processed.

  6) Submit Your Immigration Documents

All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s). Also,

  • F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  • J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  • Other visa status holders will need to submit a copy of their I-94.
  7) Submit the Student Statement of Understanding

A Student Statement of Understanding form must be signed and submitted as proof that you have read and understand all UHCL admission requirements. This form also identifies your visa status as well as any dependents you may need to include on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Frequently Asked Questions

  How can I submit my transcript (grade/mark sheet) and proof of diploma/degree?

Submit (by post) ALL of the following Original Documents in English and in the native language *

  1. Your Official Transcripts or Consolidated Grade/Mark sheets.
  2. If your institution issues grade/mark sheets, you are required to submit the individual Grade/Mark Sheets for each Semester including passing and failed mark sheets. Semesters need to be clearly marked such as Semester 1, 2, 3 etc. listing the Month/Year they were taken.
  3. Official Proof of Diploma/Degrees or Provisional Certificates.

Explanation of Official Transcripts, Grade/Mark Sheets, Proof of Degrees:

  1. Original Documents or
  2. Documents – all pages - attested by one of the following:
      1. Registrar
      2. Principal
      3. Controller of Examinations
      4. Ministry of Education
      5. Ministry of Foreign Affairs or International Cooperation

Exception: All pages do not need to be attested if School Documents are mailed by the School in a sealed, stamped envelope signed by one of the following:

  1. Registrar
  2. Principal
  3. Controller of Examination

Please NOTE: Attestations on school documents OR on envelops by Heads of Departments, Professors, or Notaries will not be accepted.

*Proof of Official School Documents in Native Language Requirements: Please contact the Office of International Admissions and Programs to request if you need to provide documents not only in English but in native language as well.

  Who is required to submit documents in their native language and English translations?
  Students whose documents are usually issued in their native language are required to submit the native language documents and word for word official translations. For example, if transcripts from Mexico are issued, applicants are required to submit the native language transcript and official word for word translations of the transcripts. Applicants who are unsure if they should have native language documents and word for word English translations can e-mail for clarification.
  What does UHCL consider official translations?

Translation of School Documents Requirement:

University of Houston-Clear Lake requires applicants to submit a word for word translation of your Transcripts, Grade/Mark Sheets, and official proof of degrees.

Word-for-Word translation will be accepted by one of the following:

  1. The College /University who issued your school documents in native language.
  2. Consulate/Embassy approved English translators
  3. Certified Translator – recognized by the American Translators Association.
  4. NACES Member – Do not purchase an evaluation; we only need a word-for-word translation
  • International Admissions and Programs

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Skype User ID: OIAP_UHCL

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office hours:
    Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.