Latest Update: August 3, 2020
F-1 Status Guidelines for Fall 2020
The Office of International Admissions and Programs has received official notification from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) via a SEVP Broadcast on the terms of the July 6, 2020 rescinded guidance. The adjustments address how F-1 international students should maintain their status during Fall 2020 instruction. The Office of International Admissions and Programs (OIAP) is actively working to apply the SEVP’s new guidance to our current and prospective F-1 students. The requirements reverted back to the March 09, 2020 guidance:
- Current F-1 International Students who are in the United States in a continuing/non-initial status can continue their program in exclusively online instruction for the Fall 2020 semester.
- Continuing F-1 students who are currently outside the United States may remain outside the U.S. and take a full course of study online and remain in Active status.
- It is no longer mandatory for students to enroll in a bimodal form of instruction for the Fall 2020 semester. Students can enroll in all modes of instruction offered by the university, including Bimodal, Online-Asynchronous, or Online-Synchronous. Note: students must maintain a full course of study, for an example: 9 Credit hours for Graduate students and 12 credit hours for Undergraduate students. Students in their final semester at UHCL who are taking less than full-time credits must submit a Request for Reduced Course Load in the ISD Portal by Friday, August 28, 2020.
- New, incoming international students are permitted to enter the United States but cannot engage in exclusively online instruction. New international students must enroll in at least one Bimodal class at UHCL for the Fall 2020 semester.
- Updated I-20's for current and prospective students designating hybrid instruction are no longer necessary or mandated.
Our office will continue to monitor any updates to existing and incoming policies that affect our regulatory practices.
More UH-Clear Lake COVID-19 Information
- General FAQs
- Face Coverings
- Student Info
- Employee Info
- Travel Registration Form