How to Apply

In addition to meeting the admissions requirements as an international student, you must also meet the university admissions requirements for your enrollment status.

How to Apply as a FreshmanHow to Apply as a Graduate StudentHow to Apply as a Transfer

Know the Deadlines

The application deadlines for UHCL are simple, though some college and degree programs have different admissions details. You should consult your preferred academic program department for the program application deadlines.

  • International Deadlines
  • Fall

    Priority – March 1
    Final  – June 1

  • Spring

    Priority – August 1
    Final – November 1

  • Summer

    Priority – February 1
    Final – April 1

*Students interested in qualifying for scholarships &/or applying for visas outside the U.S. should apply and submit the application documents/test scores by the priority deadline

**Freshman will not be accepted for Summer semester

  The International Application Process at UHCL

As an international student, there are a few key steps you need complete when completing your application to UHCL as a transfer student.

All of the documents described below must be sent to:

University of Houston-Clear Lake
Office of International Admissions & Programs
2700 Bay Area Boulevard, M.C.85
Houston, Texas 77058

1) Apply Online

Submit your application at by the application deadline.

2) Pay a Fee

You must pay a non-refundable application fee of $75 USD through

3) Submit Your Transcript

As a transfer student, you must provide the Office of International Admissions & Programs (OIAP) with the equivalent of transcripts and secondary diploma from your home country.

  • If you are entering UHCL with prior university credit, you must also provide OIAP with official transcripts, mark (grade) sheets and confirmation of degrees or diplomas for all academic studies attempted and completed at other college/universities.
  • The type of documents required will vary based on educational system.
  • You can contact us at for additional information regarding what documents you are required to submit.

You must submit these documents in the original language and English translations (if applicable).

  • Translations (word for word) will only be accepted from the college/university, consulate/embassy approved translators, translations conducted by an approved Evaluation Provider (link) or American Translator Association.
  • This information must be received before the final evaluation can proceed.
  • Transcripts (mark/sheets) must clearly indicate dates of attendance, subjects taken and marks/grades earned.
  • All marks/grades should be submitted (even failed attempts).
  • Consolidated mark sheets will not be used and considered as official transcripts.
  • Official transcripts (grade/mark sheets) must be sent directly to the Office of OIAP by the registrar, principal, controller of examinations or responsible head of the office where records (such as degrees/diplomas and grades) are kept.

When this is not possible, documents certified by one of the following will be accepted as “true” or official copies:

  • Ministry of Education;
  • University authority such as Registrar, Principal, Controller of Examination, Vice Rector or Rector;
  • Education USA Official (link); or
  • Diplomatic Mission Representation in the U.S. such as Consulate, Chancellery, High Commission or Embassy.

NOTE: Copies of transcripts, degrees, or diplomas attested by Heads of Departments, Professors, or Notaries will not be accepted.

4) Submit Your Test Scores

If you were born or educated in a country where English is not the native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency prior to admission. You can meet this requirement by taking the paper or internet TOEFL exam, Intensive English Language Test (IELTS) exam, Pearson Test of English (PTE) or by successfully completing the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your minimum scores must be:

  •  550 on the paper-based TOEFL exam;
  • 79 on the TOEFL (iBT) exam;
  • 6.0 on the IELTS exam, 53 on the PTE exam; or,
  • You can successfully complete level 112 in the ELS Intensive English Language program.

Your scores cannot be more than two years old and only those received directly from the testing company will be accepted. You can also review the academic catalog to determine if you qualify for a waiver of this requirement.

5) Submit Your Financial Documents

U.S. immigration law requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to document their ability to pay the cost of attending (tuition, fees, housing, books, supplies, etc.) equal to one year of study.

  • Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months and an Affidavit of Support are required for international students who plan to apply for F-1 or J-1 visa status.
  • Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
  • The amount should be at least equal to the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
  • Multiple sponsors are acceptable.However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.
Acceptable financial documents include:
  • Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
  • Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
  • Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
  • Scholarship letters
  • Letters showing government funding

Unacceptable financial documents include:

  • Statements (including scholarship letters or government funding) older than 6 months
  • Bank statements lacking required tuition amount
  • Credit card statements
  • Employment letters
  • Tax statements
  • Bank statements or bank letters written in language other than English
  • Conditional loan statements

If you meet the academic admission requirements, your admission will not be finalized (documents for your student visa will not be issued) until your original financial documents are reviewed and processed.

6) Submit Your Immigration Documents

All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s). Also,

  • F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  •  J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  • Other visa status holders will need to submit a copy of their I-94.

7) Submit the Student Statement of Understanding

A Student Statement of Understanding form must be signed and submitted as proof that you have read and understand all UHCL admission requirements. This form also identifies your visa status as well as any dependents you may need to include on your I-20 or DS-2019.

  • International Admissions and Programs

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Skype User ID: OIAP_UHCL

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Fall/Spring hours:
    Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Summer hours:
    Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Friday, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.