Why Should I Study Abroad?
If the thought of traveling has ever crossed your mind or you always wanted to see your textbooks come to life, this is the place to get started. Study Abroad allows you to enjoy the experience of traveling abroad while also giving you the chance to enhance you academic program.
There are many benefits to a study abroad experience, including:
- Break out of your academic routine.
- Expand your view of the world and learn another culture first-hand.
- Benefit from the depth of learning that occurs beyond textbooks and the classroom.
- Learn about yourself and develop skills invaluable skills like self-confidence.
- Gain new ideas and perspectives about yourself and your culture.
- Make your resume stand out. To an employer, a student who has studied abroad is self-motivated,
independent and willing to embrace challenges.
Academic Credit for Study Abroad
We know that your academic success and degree completion are your ultimate goals. A Study Abroad experience can enhance your education and contribute to your degree plan.
- Credit from a Study Abroad program will factor into a your degree plan differently, depending on the student’s major, classification, hours of transfer credit already on file and type of study abroad program chosen.
- In many cases, credit from courses taken abroad can be applied towards major, minor and elective requirements at UHCL.
- If you partake of an official University Faculty-Led Study Abroad program, you will receive UHCL credit for courses taken abroad.
- You are encouraged to work with your Academic Advisor the semester before you go abroad to confirm how courses taken abroad can be applied to your UHCL degree requirements.
- Each situation and student is different, so it is important to consult your Academic Advisor to insure all credit issues are addressed.
Throughout the year, we will offer the opportunity for you to speak with a representative of our office about the possibilities for your Study Abroad experience. We make an effort to visit each building on campus at a variety of dates and times.
Our knowledgeable staff member will be at an information table with handouts and resources. You are welcome to stop by briefly to pick up materials or stay longer to ask questions. You are not expected nor required to stay for the full session. Check campus bulletin boards and our office calendar for future dates, times, and locations.