2/28/20, 6:18 a.m. - UHCL Texas Medical Center will remain closed through Friday, Feb. 28 due to a water outage. UHCL on Bay Area Blvd. and UHCL Pearland remain open under normal conditions. - For the latest info, alert.uhcl.edu

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Overview of the J-1 Visa Category

The J-1 was created to promote academic, cultural, and scientific exchange between the visitor and the host country. J-1 exchange visitor visa status is available to scholars to engage in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return to their home countries to share their experiences, as well as encouraging their colleagues in the United States to participate in educational and cultural programs abroad. UHCL may host visitors as students, researchers, professors, short-term scholars, interns, and specialists (pending approval from UH Main). These programs can be valid for multi-week to multi-year periods, but regardless of the duration of the program, scholars must focus on the specific goals of the program for the duration of their stay in J-1 statuses. Their dependents (i.e., a legally married spouse or child under the age of 21) come with a J-2 visa. International scholars who come to UHCL to do research or to teach usually come as Exchange Visitors with a J-1 visa.

Learn More Exchange Visitors (J1 Status)

  • Education Abroad

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Email: educationabroad@uhcl.edu

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.