Counsel Children for Educational Success
Serve the needs of students and their families by receiving the Master of Science in Counseling with School Counselor Certification through University of Houston-Clear Lake’s College of Education. You will gain the foundation you need to serve children of all ages and grades. Our program provides experiential learning that will allow you to develop your own counseling style. You will be prepared to pass the School Counselor State Assessment prior to completion of your degree.
Prepare to Support Students K-12
Upon completion of this thorough program, you will be ready to serve as a school counselor
in elementary, middle/intermediate and high schools. The comprehensive 48-semester
hour coursework supports a comprehensive, developmental, and collaborative school-counseling
model. College of Education faculty offer an approach that considers the academic,
career development, and personal/social needs of the K-12 students. In addition to
the School Counselor Certification, students can consider adding preparation for licensure
as a Professional Counselor to broaden their career options and employment opportunities.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
Eager to make your dreams come true by studying at UHCL? Make sure you have what it takes to begin your journey to success.
- Counseling M.S. and Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.S.
Fall: March 1
Spring: September 1
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution
- GRE or MAT scores
- The GRE/MAT is waived for applicants who have earned a 3.000 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework
- Applicants who have earned less than 3.000 in the last 60 hours of coursework, are
required to submit one of the following:
- A combined GRE score of 294 and a writing score of 3.5
- An MAT score of 390 minimum
- Applicants hold a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to submit GRE or MAT scores
The following documents must be uploaded to your UHCL E-Services account (assigned after you have completed the ApplyTexas online application):
- Resume - A brief resume with relevant work experiences, honors, presentations, papers or other life experiences that you would like to have considered for admission to the Counseling Program
- Formal Essay - The essay should be maximum 500 words. Content should explain your reasons for pursuing counselor training as well as your career goals.
- Counseling Program Application
- Three Professional Reference Forms
- Self-Rating Sheet
- Background Check Form: Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.S. / Counseling M.S.
Applicants seeking admission to pursue the Counseling M.S. with School Counselor Certification must also upload the following:
- Texas Teacher Service Record (You can request this from your school district HR department.)
- TEA Ethics Training Completion Certificate
- Receipt for TEA Admission Fee – Please visit the UHCL E-Commerce site to pay the $37.00 Texas Education Agency (TEA)-Advanced Certificate Program Admission Fee (scroll to correct certification). This fee is payable by credit/debit card only and is non-refundable; therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are in the correct program and certification. TEA requires all educator preparation programs to collect this fee and forward it to TEA. TEA uses it to monitor your TEAL (TEA Login) account at the TEA website. Once you have paid the fee, your will be emailed a receipt. You need to upload the receipt.
- Supplemental Admissions Form
- FERPA Form
- Certificate(s) of completion of TEA-required school district training in Mental Health/Substance Abuse/Youth Suicide Prevention
Educate yourself on the necessary course work at University of Houston-Clear Lake. We want you to succeed in the College of Education, so review the degree requirements for your preferred major.
Get schooled on the projected costs for tuition, books, supplies and more for your education degree from UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
UH-Clear Lake at Pearland
1200 Pearland Pkwy
Pearland, Texas 77581
Since 2010, University of Houston-Clear Lake at Pearland has proudly served as an upper-level institution serving juniors, seniors, and graduate students in fields like business and behavioral science.
Accreditations and Distinctions
The College of Education is accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.