Counsel Children for Educational Success
Serve the needs of students and their families by receiving the Master of Science in Counseling with School Counselor Certification through University of Houston-Clear Lake’s College of Education. You will gain the foundation you need to serve children of all ages and grades. Our program provides experiential learning that will allow you to develop your own counseling style. You will be prepared to pass the School Counselor State Assessment prior to completion of your degree.
Prepare to Support Students K-12
Upon completion of this thorough program, you will be ready to serve as a school counselor
in elementary, middle/intermediate and high schools. The comprehensive 48-semester
hour coursework supports a comprehensive, developmental, and collaborative school-counseling
model. College of Education faculty offer an approach that considers the academic,
career development, and personal/social needs of the K-12 students. In addition to
the School Counselor Certification, students can consider adding preparation for licensure
as a Professional Counselor to broaden their career options and employment opportunities.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
Eager to make your dreams come true by studying at UHCL? Make sure you have what it takes to begin your journey to success.
- Counseling M.S.
Fall: March 1
Spring: September 1
- The graduate test score is waived for applicants who have earned a 3.000 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework; or
- Applicants who have earned less than 3.000 in the last 60 hours of coursework, are
required to submit one of the following:
- A combined GRE score of 294 and a writing score of 3.5
- An MAT score of 390 minimum
- Applicants holding a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to submit GRE or MAT scores.
- Applicants must submit three (3) Professional Recommendation Forms
- Once a completed application is received by the Counseling program, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. A committee member will contact the applicant for an on-campus interview, after which, a final admissions decision will be made.
School Counselor program applicants only must also submit the following:
- Signed FERPA Form
- Certificate of completion of online TEA Ethics Training
- Texas Teacher Service Record from School District HR office
- Valid Standard Texas Teacher Certificate
- Background Check Verification Form
- Certificates of completion from TEA required school district training on Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Youth Suicide Prevention
- TEA Application Fee Receipt
Educate yourself on the necessary course work at University of Houston-Clear Lake. We want you to succeed in the College of Education, so review the degree requirements for your preferred major.
Get schooled on the projected costs for tuition, books, supplies and more for your education degree from UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
UH-Clear Lake at Pearland
1200 Pearland Pkwy
Pearland, Texas 77581
Since 2010, University of Houston-Clear Lake at Pearland has proudly served as an upper-level institution serving juniors, seniors, and graduate students in fields like business and behavioral science.
Accreditations and Distinctions
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.