Empower Diverse Individuals and Families to Accomplish Health, Education and Career Goals
This 30-semester hour degree plan with no licensure provides a solid background in the theories and practices of counseling, which can prepare individuals who seek work in a variety of settings including community, faith-based, non-profits and higher education. Your Master of Science in Counseling with General Applied Techniques Concentration from University of Houston-Clear Lake will also provide preparation that can lead to a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC) licensure.
Get on Track to Pursue Licensure
You’ll become prepared meet the academic requirements for the School Counselor standard
certificate (EC-12) or for Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration in preparation
for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Texas. Students
who wish to pursue LPC licensure must complete the master’s degree plan with a minimum
of 60 credit hours. To be eligible to receive the LPC, graduates must also document
3000 clock hours of post-master’s supervised counseling experience and pass the state
licensure examination. For State LPC requirements, please visit www.dshs.texas.gov/counselor
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
Eager to make your dreams come true by studying at UHCL? Make sure you have what it takes to begin your journey to success.
- Counseling M.S.
Fall: March 1
Spring: September 1
- The graduate test score is waived for applicants who have earned a 3.000 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework; or
- Applicants who have earned less than 3.000 in the last 60 hours of coursework, are
required to submit one of the following:
- A combined GRE score of 294 and a writing score of 3.5
- An MAT score of 390 minimum
- Applicants holding a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to submit GRE or MAT scores.
- Applicants must submit three (3) Professional Recommendation Forms
- Once a completed application is received by the Counseling program, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. A committee member will contact the applicant for an on-campus interview, after which, a final admissions decision will be made.
School Counselor program applicants only must also submit the following:
- Signed FERPA Form
- Certificate of completion of online TEA Ethics Training
- Texas Teacher Service Record from School District HR office
- Valid Standard Texas Teacher Certificate
- Background Check Verification Form
- Certificates of completion from TEA required school district training on Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Youth Suicide Prevention
- TEA Application Fee Receipt
Ready to learn about the classes you need to take to earn your degree from the College of Education at University of Houston-Clear Lake? Find out all you need to know about the required course work, complete with options for electives.
Get schooled on the projected costs for tuition, books, supplies and more for your education degree from UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
Bayou Building, Room 1406
2700 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX 77058
Make the most of a hectic schedule and study from home or the office through UHCL Online, offering the same level of excellence for more than 20 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs.
UH-Clear Lake at Pearland
1200 Pearland Pkwy
Pearland, Texas 77581
Since 2010, University of Houston-Clear Lake at Pearland has proudly served as an upper-level institution serving juniors, seniors, and graduate students in fields like business and behavioral science.
Accreditations and Distinctions
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.