Welcome to Global Learning and Strategy Summer Institute
The 2021 2nd Annual Summer Institute Program Applications are now Closed!
The President's initiative to support international students, the Summer Institute aims to expand UHCL students' global education by providing students practical experience through internships within their field of study, professional development, and on-campus internships with an international theme. The innovation of the summer institute is vital, and we want to encourage engagement with the world so that when our students return home and advance in their careers, they are prepared and connected in their respective fields of study including a stamp of Global Citizenship.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Global Learning and Strategy has determined that on-shift to an online-only format. We are pleased to offer an online alternative to the Institute.
Summer 2021 Institute Dates
June 1 – July 30, 2021. The final research paper and or project is due Friday, July 30, 2021, by 5 p.m. CST.
Global Citizens Credential Capstone Course Registration for interns now Open!
- Upcoming Webinars
Friday, June 11, 2021Social Identity Wheel - Office of Student Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Friday, June 18, 2021Building Effective Communication Across Diverse Industries
Friday, June 25, 2021Resume Building - Career Services
Friday, July 09, 2021Networking Workshop
Friday, July 16, 2021Counseling Services - Career Anxiety, Confidence, Building professional connections
Friday, July 23, 2021True Colors - Student Diversity Equity & Inclusion - Office of Student Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Summer 2021 Institute Partners
- In partnership with the Office of Strategic Partnerships
Global Learning and Strategy Administrator
Student Diversity Equity & Inclusion - International Student Programs Coordinator
Dr. Jennifer Grace
College of Education
Chief Business Administrator
International Admissions Advisor
Dr. Johna McClendon
Global Learning & Strategy
Sr. International Student Advisor
Executive Director, Strategic Partnerships
Dr. Gigi Do
Associate Vice-President Global Learning & Strategy
Office of the President, DBA
Frequently Ask Questions
If you are required to enroll in an internship or co-op course, you may be eligible to use CPT. Please contact your program and international advisor for more information.
We expect a commitment of no less than 20 hours per week. Some weeks may vary based on the project or research needed.
Students are required to have a functioning computer/laptop with a microphone and camera. Global Learning and Strategy will assist students who may not meet technical requirements to participate fully in the Institute by connecting them to resources. There is no anticipated cost for these elements.
The Institute will be facilitated online and or remotely (based on project). Students must be engaged throughout the Institute and be in regular contact via virtual methods such as video call, phone call, email, instant messenger, etc.
Yes, as long as you have applied for your social security number, you are eligible to continue working. Contact Human Resources at CainasJ@UHCL.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org immediately upon issuance of your social security number. Please note you will not be paid without a valid social security number.
We understand that some of the mandatory webinars/trainings conflict with your class schedule or on-campus responsibilities. The Summer 2021 Institute has a full schedule of webinars and trainings to complement your virtual engagement. As such, your success is contingent on your attendance, active participation, and engagement throughout the 7-week institute.
Institute students may miss up to three mandatory webinars/trainings due to class conflict. After the third absenteeism, students will be required to:
- Register for the recording of the missed training/webinar
- View the recording
- Write a 500-word paper on the missed training/webinar, along with added research and commentary from the student.
- Submission of the paper must be completed no later than five business days upon the date of the missed webinar/training. The paper must be submitted to OIAP@uhcl.edu
You will be dropped from the institute, which will impact your completion obligation and impact your receipt of the certificate of completion. As a reminder, your attendance is determined not only by fulfilling your virtual engagement role, but also by your attendance to the webinars/trainings. If you find that you cannot meet the institute's minimum participation requirements due to extenuating circumstances, please contact OIAP@uhcl.edu immediately.
All Summer 2021 Institute Students are required to submit a 2-page final research or reflection paper on their Summer 2020 Institute project within their focus area or their takeaways from the Institute. Final papers must be submitted to OIAP@uhcl.edu by July 30 at 5 p.m. CST. Please note, you will not receive your final payment for the Institute until we have received and approved your final paper.
- True Colors with Aja and Firoj from the Office of Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Summer Institute Presentation with Dr. Lisa Lacher, CSE
- Summer Institute Presentation with Dr. Gene Shan, CSE
- Summer Institute Presentation with Dr. Amy Lucas
- Career Services-Interviewing: Before, During and After
- Social Identity Wheel with Hana and Firoj from the Office of Student Diversity, Equity
and Inclusion (No Recording)
- Employer Expectations Workshop with Career Services, Presenter Chuck Crocker and Guest Speaker Elizabeth Wojtowicz
- OIAP & Strategic Partnerships Presentation on CPT and Internships
- Counseling Services on Tips for Success, Presenter Kevin Isserman
- Counseling Services on Career Anxiety, Confidence, and Building Professional Connections, Presenter Brian Kline
- Counseling Services on the Importance of Mental Health, Presenter Young Koh
- Career Services - Resumes and Cover Letters Workshop
- Writing Center - Resources and Services Presentation
- Career Services - LinkedIn Training Workshop