UHCL requires that all investigators successfully complete training in human research protections prior to engaging in the conduct of human subjects research. UHCL has selected the Collaborative Institutional Training Institute (CITI Program) operated by the University of Miami, which provides web-based training on a number of research topics including human subjects research.
Principal Investigators and all study personnel involved in the conduct of human subjects research are required to complete the CITI Initial (Basic) Course and complete the CITI Refresher Course every three (3) years thereafter.
Please be aware, Principal Investigators and all study personnel listed on a study must have current CITI certification upon submission to the CPHS/IRB. Submissions that require current CITI certification are new applications and continuing review requests.
The CITI Human Subjects Research Basic Course is required for all investigators and study personnel (i.e., Users) who have not previously completed a CITI Program human subjects research course. At a minimum, Users must select and complete the curriculum (called Learner Groups) that corresponds with their role in the research.
- Using a current version of Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox or Safari, access the CITI Program website.
- Register with the CITI Program and affiliate with the University of Houston-Clear Lake.
- Remember to record your CITI Program username and password for future reference. If you forget your username or password, contact CITI. UHCL does not have access to that information.
- Once registered, answer the course enrollment questions to determine in which course(s) to enroll.
- Know which Learner Group curriculum you need to complete. NOTE: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training DOES NOT fulfill UHCL's human subjects research training requirements.
- Each Learner Group contains required and supplemental modules.
- Each module may take from 10 to 20 minutes to complete (typically 2 to 4 hours to complete the entire course).
- You do not need to complete the entire Course in one session. Re-enter as often as you like, using your username and password, to complete the training.
- You must complete all required modules with a cumulative score of 80% or better to pass the course.
- Upon successful completion of the CITI course, please download the certificate of completion for your records. The current certificate must be provided to OSP whenever submitting an application for CPHS review.
- CITI Program registration/UHCL affiliation walk-through for investigators (students and faculty).
- CITI Program registration/UHCL affiliation walk-through for CPHS members and alternates.
Any researcher who is new to UHCL and who completed his/her CITI training at another institution within the past two (2) years can transfer completion credit for modules shared between the researcher's prior institution and UHCL. The transfer is based on each module's unique ID number. If the courses do not match exactly, not all credits will transfer and those researchers will need to complete the modules required at UHCL which were not completed at the researcher's prior institution. Follow the instructions below:
- Log into your CITI account. If you can't remember your user name and password, contact CITI.
- You must be affiliated with both institutions (your prior institution and UHCL).
- The CITI Program website Main Menu page will have a section called "My Learner Tools" for your prior institution.
- Follow the "Click here to affiliate with another institution" link to add an affiliation.
- Type and select "University of Houston-Clear Lake" and click "Next".
- Once you have affiliated with both institutions, on the Main Menu page under University of Houston-Clear Lake select "Add a Course or Update Learner Groups".
- Enroll in the UHCL course that you want to transfer your completion credits to from your previous institution.
- You will need to enroll in the same stage of the course (Basic/Refresher) for a proper transfer to occur.
- Once you are enrolled in the UHCL course, any modules that are shared between the two institutions' courses will have their credit transferred automatically.
- The researcher is responsible for completing any UHCL modules that were not completed by the transfer of credits.
- You will know you have successfully completed the UHCL course when on the Main Menu screen under "University of Houston-Clear Lake Courses" the course status says "Passed" and the date of course completion. You can also print your completion report.
If you are a researcher who is affiliated with another institution but are collaborating on a UHCL study, we still require documentation of human subjects research training certification, but will accept equivalent certification from your home institution.