1/17: University of Houston-Clear Lake and its off-site locations will be open on Thursday, Jan. 18. During inclement weather, university officials monitor local conditions and post announcements regarding closure of the university on the UHCL Emergency Information website as well as the UHCL Hotline (281-283-2221).


Permit Procedures & Applications


Animals brought to campus for special events undergo a review process coordinated by the Risk Management.  Complete and submit the Animals on Campus Request form for Special Events (Not Research use) at least two weeks in advance.

  Food Permits

Whenever food is sold or distributed on campus, public food safety rules come into effect and a temporary food permit must be obtained.  This applies to employees, students, and community visitors distributing or selling food.  Applicable requirements are summarized in the Temporary Food Permit Policies and Procedures.

The food permit application must be submitted online at least two weeks in advance  at https://apps.uhcl.edu/EHS/PermitRequests.  Login credentials are the same as your campus computer login.

Should the online permit system be down, or if you are not a UHCL student, faculty, or staff and are renting out UHCL facilities for a public event, you may submit the food permit application to FoodPermits@uhcl.edu.

Private events will no longer need a food permit, but if in a public space, groups must post signs that it is for their members only.

Non-shelf-stable food must be kept hot or cold during the event, and the maximum amount of time for each permit is four hours.

Food Items prepared at individuals homes are required to have a statement indicating as such at the event.  This could be included on an event sign that also includes ingredients and potential allergens. Here is a Home Operations Food Statement template which may be used for this information.

Fire Extinguisher training (www.fireextinguisher.com) and an Open Flame Permit is required when sterno's will be used for hot holding.  Both should be submitted along with the food permit request, showing a designated fire watch will be present at the event who has taken the extinguisher training.

Definitions have changed for the risk categories (low, medium, and high), and certain foods require Food Handler’s Training through an accredited training provider, such as www.servsafe.com or www.Learn2Serve.com at a nominal cost ($7-15) to the applicant, which is good for 3 years. 

Applicants must acknowledge they have read the procedures when applying by signing a Declaration of Acknowledgement.

  Hot Work

A Hot Work Permit is required when performing any work that involves burning, welding, or cutting using fire or spark producing tools, or tools that produces a source of ignition. Contact the University Fire Marshal at 281-283-2261 for questions concerning any work being performed on campus that may require a Hot Work Permit.



  • Risk Management

    Phone: 281-283-2106
    Email: riskmanagement@uhcl.edu

    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 362
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.