General Program Requirements

  • Degrees Offered
  • Enrollment and Grading Policies
  • University Undergraduate Degree Requirements

Degrees Offered

The University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) is authorized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to confer four degrees in 38 undergraduate majors.

Undergraduate Degrees Conferred (back to top)

Undergraduate Plans Offered (back to top)

School of Business

School of Education

School of Human Sciences and Humanities

School of Science and Computer Engineering

*Pending Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approval.

Student Responsibility (back to top)

Students are responsible for knowing all degree requirements and enrolling in courses appropriate for chosen degree programs. Students also are responsible for knowing all university regulations regarding student affairs and course work standards required for study undertaken in the university. While this catalog was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time, all information including statements of fees, course offerings, admissions and graduation requirements is subject to change without notice or obligation. The most recent information regarding degree requirements and academic standards may be obtained from the appropriate dean's office. Student affairs information may be obtained by contacting the Office of the Dean of Students, or by contacting the individual student services offices.

Enrollment and Grading Policies (back to top)

In conjunction with academic performance standards, the policies listed below are utilized by the university in monitoring the academic progress of students.

Course Load (back to top)

Students should be aware that academic work will be at advanced levels and should consider individual abilities when determining an appropriate course load. Course load limits may be set as terms of probation or readmission to the university after suspension. The university limits course loads to a maximum of 19 hours during the fall and spring semesters. For the summer semester, the limit is 12 hours.

In evaluating their ability to carry a certain course load, students should consider:

Under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations, international students are required to maintain full-time enrollment during each fall and spring semester. In addition, no more than three credit hours per semester of courses taken online may be counted towards full-time enrollment for F and J student visa holders.

Full-Time/Part-Time Status Course Load (back to top)

Term Full-Time ¾ Time ½ Time
Fall and Spring Semesters 12 hours 9 hours 6 hours
Nine-Week Summer Sessions 6 hours 5 hours 3-4 hours
Five-Week Summer Sessions 4 hours 3 hours 1 hour

When enrolled in a cooperative education course, students will be considered full-time for purposes of enrollment verification.

Resident Credit (back to top)

Resident credit is defined in two ways:

Students should be aware that credits earned elsewhere without prior approval from UHCL are not considered credits "earned in residence" for the purpose of fulfilling general degree requirements.

Class Attendance (back to top)

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. What constitutes an acceptable rate of class attendance is a matter between students and their instructors, although the university expects instructors to maintain reasonable standards. Whenever instructors determine that students' absences have been excessive, they have the right to request that the appropriate associate dean withdraw the students from the course.

Drop/Withdrawal Mark

Students who drop classes or withdraw from all classes by the deadline date as stated in the academic calendar will receive one of the following grades: WQ (Student-initiated drop, No Evaluation) or WX (Administrative Drop or Withdrawal, No Evaluation). These marks imply no evaluation of students' performance prior to drop/withdrawal. Students may retain auditing privileges with the instructor's consent.

Student-Initiated Withdrawals

Students' applications for official withdrawal from courses or from the university must be made to the Office of Academic Records through E-Services prior to the deadline stated in the academic calendar. Withdrawals in writing can be made by mail or by fax to 281-283-2530 and are effective on the date of receipt. Student-initiated drops and withdrawals are irrevocable. Retroactive drops or withdrawals are not permitted. Students lose all university privileges on the date the withdrawal from the university is effective.

Administrative Withdrawals

The university reserves the right to withdraw students from a class or all classes if, in the judgment of the appropriate university officials, such withdrawals are in the best interests of the students and the university. Students may be withdrawn for reasons of health, irresponsible financial conduct, unacceptable personal conduct, Honesty Code violations or other academic infractions or disregard of official summonses to respond to official requests.

6 drop rule (back to top)

In 2007, the Texas Legislature passed a law (S.B. 1231) which prohibits students enrolling for the first time as a freshman during the fall 2007 academic term or any term thereafter from dropping more than a total of six courses in their entire undergraduate career. This total includes any course a transfer student has dropped at another 2-year of 4-year Texas public college or university. This does not apply to courses dropped prior to the census date (See Schedule of Classes) or to courses for which the students receives an administrative withdrawal noted with a grade of "WX" and does not apply if the student withdraws from the term or session.

Certain exceptions may be made to the limit if the student can show good cause for dropping more than that number, including but not limited to a showing of:

Students requesting an exemption must complete the 6-Drop Exemption Form and submit it to the Office of Academic Records along with supporting documents and evidence of extenuating circumstances.


Grade Code Associated with the 6-Drop Rule

University of Houston-Clear Lake will award a grade of "WQ" for courses dropped after the census date for the term as listed on the Class Schedule.  Students who are administratively withdrawn from courses or students withdrawing from all courses for a term will receive a grade of "WX." The grade of "WX" will also be assigned to courses for which students receive an exemption to the 6-drop limit. The grade of "WX" will not count against the 6-drop rule.


Awarding of Grades once the 6-Drop Limit has been Reached

Once UHCL determines that a student has accrued a total of 6 drops on courses attended at any Texas public colleges and universities, including UHCL, it will not allow that student to drop any additional course at UHCL. Once enrolled for a course, the students with 6 drops can only be awarded A, B, C, D, or F grade by their instructor.


Appeals Process

Any student who wants to appeal the initial decision to deny an exemption to the 6-drop limit for dropping a course may appeal to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost for further review. Such appeals must be submitted in writing before the final grades for the course are posted by the instructor.

Students appealing the initial decision can only do so for one of the following reasons:

The decision of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost will be final.


Drops that Count towards the Limit

The 6 drop limit applies only to students enrolling for the first time as a freshman during the fall 2007 academic term or any term thereafter at a public college or university in Texas, including UHCL. Drops that count towards the limit are those for which a student receives a grade of WQ on his/her UHCL transcript as well as any equivalent drops reported on that student's transcript(s) from other Texas public colleges and universities. If a student started college Fall 2007 or thereafter, and then transferred to UHCL from an affected Texas public college or university with six drops that are equivalent of WQ, the student may not drop any additional course at UHCL after the census date for the term.  If the student transfers with fewer than six drops, the student may drop the remainder of the allowed drops at UHCL.

Descriptions of Letter Grades (back to top)

Grades of "+" or "-" are refinements of the letter grades, represent grade point variations and may be used at the discretion of the instructor.

Grading System

Grade Points Per Semester Hour Grade
4.000 A
3.667 A-
3.333 B+
3.000 B
2.667 B-
2.333 C+
2.000 C
1.667 C-
1.333 D+
1.000 D
0.667 D-
0.000 F
WQWX* Student Initiated Drop, No EvaluationWithdrawal or Administrative Drop, No Evaluation
NG* No Grade Submitted, Contact Instructor
I* Incomplete-No Credit, unless work is not completed on time, then an F is given
CR*+ Credit
NC*+ No Credit
IP*++ In Progress-No Credit

*These grades are not included in computing the grade point average

+CR/NC awarded only for CLEP, master's option and TexES course work

++IP awarded for some undergraduate internships

Grade Point Average (GPA)

This average is computed by multiplying the semester hours of each course attempted by the grade points earned in the particular course and then dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of hours attempted excluding those hours for which grades are shown with asterisk (*) above. GPAs will round at three decimals.

Cumulative GPA is based on the grade points earned since admission to UHCL or since the last UHCL degree awarded. All UHCL undergraduate and graduate courses taken by undergraduate or post-baccalaureate students are calculated in the undergraduate GPA. Courses transferred in do not calculate in the UHCL GPA.

Incomplete Grade and Incomplete Grade Contract

A grade of Incomplete ("I") may be given at the discretion of the instructor to students who are making satisfactory progress in a course. Incompletes are typically given for emergency situations which occur after the withdrawal date but prior to the end of the semester, and which prevent the student from completing course requirements. When assigning the grade of "I," instructors provide students with an Incomplete Grade Contract that outlines the work to be accomplished before the "I" can be converted to a final grade and specifies a deadline date; this contract constitutes an agreement between instructors and students. A grade of "I" must be resolved within the time limit set by instructors; however, such limits may not be extended beyond the grade submission deadline for the next long semester following the semester in which the "I" was assigned. Failure to resolve an "I" will result in its conversion to a final grade of "F" on students' permanent records. An "I" can be converted to a final grade only. A statement denoting the lapse will appear on the transcript.

Students should not re-register for a course to complete a grade of "I." Incomplete grade contracts are submitted to the appropriate associate dean‘s office.

Students on academic probation, who have outstanding "I" grades, will remain on probation until all incompletes are resolved. "I" grades are not calculated in the GPA. An "I" which has been changed to a grade or has been converted to an "F" will be recorded and academic action taken during the semester of the grade change.

In Progress Grade

Some undergraduate internships require a grade of In Progress until a final grade is earned. The "IP" grade will not automatically convert to "F" if not resolved within a specified time.

Grade Changes

Grade changes are allowed for only one of the following three reasons:

Other than removing an incomplete, grades will not be changed on the basis of extra work submitted after final grades are assigned.

Only the course instructor may assign grades for students in a course. Grade changes may be made by the instructor or the associate dean in the absence of the instructor. After one long semester, a grade change submitted by an instructor must be approved by the associate dean for the program in which the course is taught. Grade changes must be filed in the Office of Academic Records within one year after the original grade is posted. Grade changes resulting from the completion of In Progress ("IP") or Incomplete ("I") work may only be initiated by the instructor of record or the associate dean. When the grade change is processed, students will be notified by mail by the Office of Academic Records. Academic action that results from a grade change will be taken during the semester of the grade change. The changed grade will be the final grade used to compute the GPA.

Repeated Courses

If students repeat a course, it is with the understanding that the last grade earned in the course is the one counted toward fulfillment of degree requirements and hours earned. Only the hours and grade points earned on the last attempt will be counted in the Grade Point Average (GPA) calculation and in determining academic standing. With prior approval of the appropriate associate dean, students may repeat courses at another college or university to raise a grade, including "F," earned at UHCL. However, the original grade earned at UHCL will remain a part of the academic record. Courses repeated at other institutions are treated as transfer credit. They will not be considered resident credit and will not be included in the UHCL GPA. Only grades earned on repeated courses taken at UHCL will be counted in the UHCL GPA.

Academic Standards (back to top)

The university expects students to meet certain standards of academic performance in order to maintain good standing and degree candidacy. The academic performance standards stated in this catalog apply to all students regardless of the catalog under which they entered the university.

Academic Status

Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.000 or better in course work at UHCL. Each school may establish standards beyond the university's minimum cumulative GPA requirement. A minimum of 2.000 cumulative GPA is required to graduate. All course work taken as an undergraduate will be used in calculating the grade point average and determining academic status even when those courses are not counted toward degree requirements.

Academic Probation

Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.000 will be placed on academic probation. Students who are on academic probation must earn a minimum 2.000 semester GPA on course work each subsequent semester until the grade point deficiency is removed. Only course work taken at UHCL will be applied toward the grade point deficiency. Students on academic probation, whose cumulative GPA meets minimum requirements, will remain on probation until all incompletes are resolved. Students who leave the university on academic probation will be readmitted on academic probation. Academic probation will be noted permanently on students' academic records.

Academic Suspension

Students who are on academic probation and earn less than a minimum 2.000 semester GPA will be suspended from the university. During academic suspension, students may not enroll, audit or visit classes at the university. Academic suspension will be noted permanently on students' academic records.


Students who are suspended from the university for the first time may apply for reinstatement after one semester of non-enrollment. Students on suspension for the second time are eligible to apply for reinstatement after one year of non-enrollment. Students who have been suspended three times are suspended indefinitely. All academic suspensions are career specific (UGRD and GRAD).The suspension count is reset to zero for undergraduate students who pursue a UHCL graduate degree. Reinstatement following suspension is not automatic. Students who are eligible and seek reinstatement must submit to the associate dean of the school to which they wish to return a written petition justifying their readiness to resume satisfactory academic work at the university. Students who are non-degree-seeking [major codes NONDEGRUG or NONDEGRPB] petition the Office of the Provost. At the time of application for reinstatement from academic suspension, students desiring to change their major from one school to another must submit a Request for Academic Record Change (ARC) form along with a petition for reinstatement to the associate dean of the school to which they wish to be admitted. Courses taken at another college or university while students are on suspension from UHCL may not fulfill UHCL upper-level degree requirements. Such courses may only be used with special permission from the associate dean. If a student has completed additional lower-level requirements during the suspension, it is advisable to include a transcript with the petition, in addition to having an official transcript sent to the Office of Admissions. Students petitioning for reinstatement over five years after their last term of attendance at UHCL must also resubmit official transcripts from universities and colleges previously attended. Records from previous institutions are destroyed after five years of academic inactivity.

Petitions for reinstatement must be submitted by the following dates:

Summer Semester April 1
Fall Semester July 1
Spring Semester November 1

Students who have not been enrolled for at least one year must file an admissions application with the Office of Admissions and meet the requirements for readmission of former students after reinstatement has been granted.

If students are allowed to enter the university after academic suspension, they enter on academic probation and will remain in that status until their cumulative GPA meets the minimum requirement of 2.000 for undergraduates. A student who is reinstated must undergo mandatory advising until such time that he/she returns to academic good standing. Disciplinary suspensions are not covered by this policy. For details of the UHCL disciplinary policy, see the Student Life Policy Handbook.

Dean's List (back to top)

At the end of each semester, all undergraduate students who earn nine or more credit hours during a fall or spring semester (or six or more credit hours during a summer semester) will be considered for the Dean's List. To be named to the Dean's List, students must be in the top 10 percent of eligible students in their schools, based on semester GPA. Students who receive any form of the grades of "I," "D," "NG," "NC," or "F" during the semester are not eligible for the Dean's List.

Standing (back to top)

Students have junior standing when they have earned 29 or fewer UHCL semester hours. They are classified as seniors when they have earned at least 30 UHCL hours but have not been awarded a bachelor's degree. Post-baccalaureate students have previously earned bachelor's degrees and are enrolled in undergraduate course work at UHCL. These students are considered as undergraduate students for all academic purposes and are not eligible to enroll in graduate courses except under the provision outlined for undergraduate enrollment at the graduate level.

Missed Examinations and Assignments (back to top)

Students are expected to be present at all announced examinations, including final examinations. Unless satisfactory alternate arrangements are made with instructors, missed examinations will be considered as failed. Students who must be absent from classes for the observance of a religious holy day (as defined by the Texas Education Code) will be allowed to take an examination or complete an assignment scheduled for that day within a reasonable time after the absence. Students needing to reschedule an examination or assignment for a holy day should submit a letter of request or appropriate form to each instructor within 15 days from the first class day of the semester. An instructor should acknowledge receipt where indicated on the form and return a copy to the student. A new date for taking an examination or completing an assignment missed for a holy day shall be set by the instructor. Should an instructor not honor the request for rescheduling examinations or assignments for holy days by setting reasonable new due dates, students may appeal the decision to their associate dean. The instructor or associate dean may require a letter of verification of the observed holy day from the religious institution.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses (back to top)

Seniors who are degree-seeking students at UHCL and who wish to take graduate courses may qualify and enroll in them subject to these conditions:

Undergraduate courses are defined as those courses with course numbers in the 3000 and 4000 range. Graduate courses taken as an undergraduate will only calculate in the undergraduate hours earned and in the undergraduate GPA. Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate non-degree-seeking students are not eligible to enroll in graduate courses.

Academic Appeals (back to top)

Academic appeals include those appeals related to grades and academic programs or degree requirements. Specific instructions are provided below for each type of academic appeal. In all instances, the university expects that every attempt will be made initially to resolve such disputes informally through discussions by all relevant parties prior to initiating formal procedures.

Grade Appeals (back to top)

All appeals relating to specific course grades require that students first seek a satisfactory solution with the instructor. If this is not possible or the instructor cannot be reached, the student must send a written statement detailing the grounds for the appeal to the associate dean of the school in which the grade was earned. This written request must be received by the associate dean within 45 days from the calendar date when grades are available as reported in the UHCL class schedule for that semester. The associate dean will then initiate the appropriate procedures to review the appeal. The student will be notified in writing of the decision. The student may appeal this decision in writing to the dean within 15 working days of notification. The dean's decision is final on all grade appeals.

Appeals of Academic Program or Degree Requirements (back to top)

All appeals relating to specific program requirements (e.g., residency requirements) require that students submit a written petition to the associate dean of the degree-granting school detailing the grounds for the appeal. The associate dean will respond in writing with a decision. The student may appeal this decision in writing to the dean within 15 working days of notification. The dean's decision is final.

Academic Honesty Policy (back to top)

Preamble and Code

Academic honesty is the cornerstone of the academic integrity of the university. It is the foundation upon which the student builds personal integrity and establishes a standard of personal behavior. The university can best function and accomplish its mission in an atmosphere of the highest ethical standards. The university expects and encourages all students to contribute to such an atmosphere by observing all accepted principles of academic honesty. This policy is designed to encourage honest behavior and is jointly administered by faculty and students.

HONESTY CODE: The Honesty Code is the university community's standard of honesty and is endorsed by all members of the University of Houston-Clear Lake academic community. It is an essential element of the university's academic credibility. It states:

I will be honest in all my academic activities and will not tolerate dishonesty.

Section I: Responsibilities

Joint Responsibility: Students and members of the faculty are jointly responsible for maintaining the academic integrity of the university by following the Academic Honesty Code and by refusing to participate in or tolerate scholastic dishonesty.

Student Responsibility: All students at the University of Houston-Clear Lake are expected to maintain complete honesty and integrity in all academic work attempted while enrolled at the university. This standard of conduct includes reporting incidents of alleged violation of the honesty policy to the instructor involved or, if necessary, to the appropriate academic dean. Each student acknowledges, by the mere act of turning in work for a grade, that he or she has honored the Academic Honesty Code.

Faculty Responsibility: Faculty are responsible for helping students comply with the Academic Honesty Policy by noting the Honest Code on the class syllabus. Instructors should help minimize student temptation to violate the code by enacting adequate security precautions in the preparation, handling and administering of graded work. Instructors are responsible for discussing incidents of alleged violation of the Honesty Code with the student involved, outlining authorized penalties for violation of the Honesty Code and notifying the student's academic dean of record and the Dean of Students when a determination has been made that a student has violated the Honesty Code, regardless of which type of academic sanction the instructor chooses to administer.

While all students are expected to maintain the highest standards of personal academic honesty, it is recognized that some students may not meet these standards. This policy is designated to address, in a uniform manner, cases of alleged violation of the Honesty Code.

Section II: Violations

Honesty Code Violations: Any conduct or activity by a student intended to earn or improve a grade or receive any form of credit by fraudulent or dishonest means is considered an Honesty Code violation. In addition, engaging in any conduct including the following examples which a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances would recognize as academic dishonesty is considered a violation. Examples of violations of the Honesty Code include, but are not limited to, the following:

  1. Acquiring information:
    1. Acquiring information for any assigned work or examination from any source not authorized by the professor.
    2. Working with another person or persons on any assignment or examination when not specifically permitted by the instructor.
    3. Observing the work of other students during any examination.
    4. Using, buying, selling, stealing, soliciting, copying or possessing, in whole or part, the contents of an unadministered examination.
    5. Purchasing, or otherwise acquiring and submitting as one's own work, any research paper or other writing assignment prepared by others.
    6. Providing information:
    7. Providing answers for any assigned work or examination when not specifically authorized by the instructor to do so.
    8. Informing any person or persons of the contents of any examination prior to the time the examination is given.
  2. Plagiarism:
    1. Incorporating the work or idea of another person into one's own work without acknowledging the source of that work or idea.
    2. Attempting to receive credit for work performed by another person, including papers obtained in whole or part from individuals or other sources.
    3. Copying copyrighted computer programs or data files belonging to someone else.
    4. Conspiracy - agreeing with one or more persons to commit any act of academic dishonesty.
  3. Fabrication of information:
    1. Falsifying the results obtained from a research or laboratory experiment.
    2. Presenting results of research or laboratory experiments without the research or laboratory experiments having been performed.
    3. Substituting for another student to take an examination or to do any academic work for which academic credit will be received. Changing answers or grades after an academic work has been returned to the student and claiming instructor error.
    4. Submitting work for credit or taking an examination and employing a technique specifically prohibited by the instructor in that course, even if such techniques would be acceptable in other courses.
  4. Abuse of resource materials:
    1. Mutilating, destroying, concealing, stealing or altering any materials provided to assist students in the completion of academic work, including library books, journals, computer files, microfilm and microfiche files, materials placed on reserve by the instructor or any such materials as the instructor may provide or assign.
    2. Copying any data files or copyrighted computer program(s) for one's own personal use or the use of others.
    3. Copying without permission of the owner, or mutilating or destroying any copyrighted media, printed or electronic (for example, film, video, music, graphics, art, photography or manuscript).
    4. Failure to report - failing to report to the instructor any incident in which a student witnesses an alleged violation of the Academic Honesty Code. Details regarding the Academic Honesty Enforcement Procedures, Resolutions, Sanctions and Academic Honesty Council can be found in Student Life Policies in hard copy and on-line at the UHCL Web site and in the Faculty Handbook on-line at the UHCL Web site. Further policies governing alteration or misuse of university documents or furnishing false information to university officials may also be found in Student Life Policies or online at the UHCL Web site.


The dean of students shall retain a copy of all Honesty Code Violation Forms. If the sanction imposed is a final grade penalty, suspension or expulsion, the registrar's office is notified and a record of the notification is maintained in the registrar's office according to the prescribed operating procedures of that office. If the student is found in violation of the Honesty Code and the penalty is anything except suspension or expulsion, the form does not become a part of the student's permanent record or transcript. Instead, it is retained by the dean of students. If the student is found in violation of the Honesty Code and the penalty is suspension or expulsion, the record becomes part of the student's permanent academic file and the notation of "Disciplinary Suspension" or "Disciplinary Expulsion" is placed on the transcript. In the case of suspension, the notation will be removed at the conclusion of the specific suspension period at the written request of the student. In the case of expulsion, the entry is noted permanently.

University Degree Requirements

University undergraduate degree requirements include:

Lower-Level Requirements (back to top)

  1. Fulfillment of the statutory requirements of the state of Texas including:
    1. Six hours of U.S. History* (three hours may be Texas History).
    2. Six hours of Constitutions of the United States* and Texas.
  2. Demonstration of written and oral proficiency by completing six hours of English* composition with grades of "C-" or better. Grades of "D+" or below are not acceptable.
  3. Completion of:
    1. Three hours of college-level algebra or higher mathematics.**
    2. Three hours of natural science with laboratory.
    3. Three hours of humanities.
    4. Three hours of social sciences.

If approved, up to 30 hours of earned correspondence, advanced placement, or CLEP credit may apply as lower-level credit toward graduation. A maximum of three hours of activity credit may be applied toward graduation.

*Certain English, mathematics, history and government credit may be earned by successful completion of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations. No more than three hours in history and in government may be earned through CLEP.

**The college-level algebra requirement may be satisfied in two ways:

Core Curriculum Requirements (back to top)

To assure that all graduating students possess broad intellectual perspectives, students must complete a 42 semester-hour core curriculum before graduation. These requirements are built into students' Candidate Plans of Study. UHCL's core curriculum is designed to assure that graduating students demonstrate competencies in reading, writing, speaking and numerical comprehension and calculation, and that they demonstrate an understanding of historical reasoning, social perspectives and an appreciation of the scientific method and the arts. The 42 semester-hour requirement also complies with the Texas Education Code, Chapter 61, Subchapter S mandates as well as core curriculum rules from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The following outline describes UHCL core curriculum requirements. The requirements are normally satisfied by course work taken at the lower-level or freshmen/sophomore levels. Where individual schools at UHCL specify particular lower-level courses to fulfill core requirements, the required courses are listed in their Texas Common Course Numbering System form. If a student presents a Field of Study Curricula (FOSC), UHCL will accept the credits and apply them to the degree program.

Upper-Level Requirements (back to top)

Students must complete an approved Candidate Plan of Study (CPS). This plan must include:

Time Limitation on Course work Prior to Admission (back to top)

Upper-level credit earned more than seven years prior to the most current admission to undergraduate study at UHCL may not be counted unless approval is granted by the dean of the school. It is the prerogative of the dean to determine 1) whether the courses meet current standards of the discipline, and 2) whether students can demonstrate sufficient retention of the content to apply it.

UHCL Core Curriculum (back to top)

School of Education

Communication Composition (ENGL 1301 & 1302) 6 Hours
Math College Algebra (MATH 1314) equivalent, OR higher math 3 Hours
Natural Science Earth/Physical Science 3 Hours
Life Science 3 Hours
Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts Visual and Performing Arts 3 Hours
Literature 3 Hours
Social & Behavioral Science US History (3 hours could be Texas History) 6 Hours
Political Sci (3 hours U.S., 3 hours Texas Government 6 Hours
World Geog. (GEOG 1301) 3 Hours
Communication Public Speaking 3 Hours
Computer Competency By satisfying course work or passage of a competency examination 3 Hours

School of Business

Communication Composition (ENGL 1301 & 1302) 6 Hours
Math College Algebra (MATH 1314) equivalent, OR higher math 3 Hours
Natural Science Natural Science 6 Hours
Life Science 3 Hours
Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts Visual and Performing Arts 3 Hours
Other Humanities 3 Hours
Social & Behavioral Science US History (3 hours could be Texas History) 6 Hours
Political Sci (3 hours U.S., 3 hours Texas Government) 6 Hours
Soc/Behavioral Science 3 Hours
Communication Speech 3 Hours
Computer Competency By satisfying course work or passage of a competency examination 3 Hours

School of Human Sciences and Humanities

Communication Composition (ENGL 1301 & 1302) 6 Hours
Math Mathematics for Liberal Arts (MATH 1332) OR College Algebra (MATH 1314), equivalent OR higher math 3 Hours
Natural Science Natural Science 6 Hours
Life Science 3 Hours
Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts Visual and Performing Arts 3 Hours
Literature 3 Hours
Social & Behavioral Science US History (3 hours could be Texas History) 6 Hours
Political Sci (3 hours U.S., 3 hours Texas Government) 6 Hours
Soc/Behavioral Science 3 Hours
Communication Speech 3 Hours
Computer Competency By satisfying course work or passage of a competency examination 3 Hours

School of Science and Computer Engineering

Communication Composition (ENGL 1301 & 1302 or Technical Writing) 6 Hours
Math College Algebra (MATH 1314) equivalent, OR higher math 3 Hours
Natural Science Natural Science 6 Hours
Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts Visual and Performing Arts 3 Hours
Other Humanities 3 Hours
Social & Behavioral Science US History (3 hours could be Texas History) 6 Hours
Political Sci (3 hours U.S., 3 hours Texas Government) 6 Hours
Soc/Behavioral Science 3 Hours
Communication Speech 3 Hours
Computer Competency By satisfying course work or passage of a competency examination 3 Hours

Limitation on Business Courses for Non-Business Majors (back to top)

Undergraduate students who are not majors in the School of Business can earn a maximum of 25 percent of the credit toward their degree in courses from the business fields of accounting, decision sciences, economics, finance, information systems, management, marketing and statistics.

Additional Bachelor's Degrees (back to top)

Students possessing a bachelor's degree from UHCL or another accredited institution may earn an additional bachelor's degree in a different major by satisfying the following:

Students pursuing additional bachelor's degrees will be classified as post-baccalaureate and considered as undergraduates for all purposes including standards for academic performance. Credits earned and applied toward any degree previously earned may not be applied toward an additional bachelor's degree. Students pursuing two or more degrees simultaneously may not apply the same credit to more than one degree.

Double Majors (back to top)

Students may earn a baccalaureate degree with two majors (i.e., a double major) provided they meet all the following requirements:

The University of Houston-Clear Lake does not recognize any number of major above two for a single baccalaureate degree. Students who want official university recognition for more than a double major must earn more than one baccalaureate degree.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog (back to top)

Degree-seeking students should file Candidate Plans of Study (CPS), normally in the first semester of enrollment. Graduation requirements will be those of the UHCL Catalog in effect when the CPS is signed and dated by the appropriate dean's office and will be effective on that date.

Students transferring within a year directly to UHCL from a Texas public community college may petition the school's associate dean to have the initial CPS use the degree requirements of the catalog in effect when the students began the last period of continuous enrollment at the community college or a subsequent catalog. The effective date of the CPS will be either the date the students began the last period of continuous enrollment at a college prior to transferring to UHCL or January 1 of the academic year of the catalog used.

If students maintain continuous enrollment, they are entitled to graduate under the degree provisions on the CPS. Failure to enroll in and satisfactorily complete at least one course in a 12-month period shall break students' continuous enrollment for the purpose of the CPS. The associate dean may require revision of the CPS of students who have not maintained continuous enrollment. The revision may bring the plan into conformance with provisions of any catalog issued after the effective date of the plan. Students may, with the approval of their advisor and associate dean, amend their CPS to comply with the provisions of catalogs issued after the effective date of a previously filed CPS. When degree requirements change because of changes in standards set by regulatory authorities, licensing authorities or accrediting agencies, CPSs for all students in affected programs may be revised. In such cases, the university will seek to alter the CPS only to the extent required to meet the new standards.

Degree requirements must be completed within seven years from the effective date of the CPS. Exceptions may be granted by the appropriate dean. Undergraduate students exceeding the time limit will automatically come under the provisions of a more recent catalog, the specific edition to be determined by the appropriate dean's office.

Applying for Graduation

Degree candidates must officially apply for graduation in the Office of Academic Records within the first three weeks of the semester in which they plan to graduate, but no later than the date specified in the academic calendar. Students who miss the specified deadline to apply may request to submit a late application for consideration. If approved, there will be a $20 late fee. To be eligible to apply for graduation, students must have completed or be enrolled in the final courses required to meet graduation requirements. A non-refundable fee of $65 is required. If students do not graduate at the close of the semester for which they have applied, they will be required to reapply and pay another $65 fee during the subsequent semester in which they intend to graduate. As there is no graduation ceremony in the summer, students who graduate in August will be eligible to participate in the December ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed to recipients within six weeks after the graduation date. Students who graduate from UHCL must complete a new application and pay $35 in order to continue taking classes.

Graduation with Honors

Undergraduate students who complete their degree requirements with exceptionally high scholastic averages will be eligible to graduate with honors. Those who are in the top two percent of each school's enrollment of their class will be eligible to graduate summa cum laude; those in the next three percent, magna cum laude; and those in the next five percent, cum laude. The minimum cumulative grade point average for consideration is 3.500. The cumulative grade point average used in determining degree honors includes all hours attempted and grades earned in those courses. As a result, the cumulative grade point average used in determining degree honors may differ from the cumulative grade point average that appears on the student's transcripts which is based only on the grades earned in the last attempt of each course.