New Student Information

  • Admissions General Information
  • Admissions Policies and Procedures
  • Graduate Admissions
  • International Admissions
  • Academic Advising


General Information

Status Definitions

Admission is defined as permission to enroll in courses for academic credit. Admission to the university does not guarantee admission to a specific major or academic discipline. Graduate applicants may be either degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking. Transient students can only be admitted as non-degree-seeking. For admission purposes, all students are categorized as "new" or "former". These classifications are defined as follows:

  1. New students - students who have never enrolled or have not been enrolled at University of Houston-Clear Lake beyond the census date of any semester.
  2. Former students - students who have attended UHCL but have not enrolled during the past three consecutive semesters. These students must re-apply to the university and may be required to resubmit documents from previous transfer institutions if those items are no longer on file.
  3. Graduate students - students who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher and meet the university's graduate admissions requirements. These students may pursue a graduate degree, enroll in course work at the graduate level, or pursue teacher certification while completing a graduate degree. Students who will pursue teacher certification,withoutenrolling in a graduate degree program, should apply as a post-baccalaureate.
  4. Degree-seeking applicants - students who are applying for admission to an academic degree program.
  5. Non-degree-seeking applicants - students who are applying for admission for reasons other than the pursuit of a degree, (e.g. personal enrichment,orjob enhancement). Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid and must reapply as degree-seeking in order to pursue a degree at UHCL in a future semester. Credit earned in a non-degree status will not automatically be applicable to a specific academic degree program, and some courses are restricted to only degree-seeking students. Additionally, some academic departments limit the number of hours that can be taken in a non-degree-seeking status and applied to a Candidate Plan of Study (CPS). For specific policies regarding course availability and application, please refer to the appropriate academic department's program section of this catalog.
  6. Transient students - students who wish to enroll in a non-degree-seeking status at UHCL for only one semester, generally to transfer course work to another institution. Transient students must prove their eligibility by providing all documents required for their appropriate admission category prior to registration. Transients who wish to enroll in a second semester must obtain permission from the associate dean of their academic school of choice; and, they must reapply by submitting a new application and application processing fee to the Office of Admissions.

Admission Policies and Procedures

Application Fees

The current application processing fees are as follows:

Domestic graduate applicants $35.00
Domestic doctoral applicants $95.00
International graduate applicants $75.00
International doctoral applicants $135.00

New students, who do not enroll in classes, are eligible to update their application status within three semesters from the original semester of application. In order to update to a new semester, applicants should submit an Application Update Form. This form can be found on the admission's Web site.

Transcripts, Records and Transfer Work

Accredited Institutions

All transcripts submitted for admission purposes must be from a regionally accredited institution. An acceptable accredited institution is a college or university that has earned accreditation from one of the following recognized regional accrediting commissions: New England Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or the Western Association of Colleges and Schools.

Proprietary, vocational-technical, bible and other specialized, single-purpose institutions that are not recognized by a regional accrediting agency are excluded. Credit earned prior to an institution receiving regional accreditation are excluded.

Documentation for Admission from U.S. Institutions

All documents submitted to meet admissions requirements must be official and from an institution that has regional accreditation (see Accredited Institutions). Official transcripts must be mailed directly from the former institution(s) to the Office of Admissions. Hand-delivered transcripts will only be accepted as official if they have been printed within the past 60 days and are received in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Unofficial transcripts, student copies of transcripts, or transfer course work shown on transcripts will not be accepted as an official record of course work.

The Office of Admissions must receive all documents by the appropriate deadlines. Applicants who are admitted under concurrent enrollmentmust be enrolled at another institution and submit a current paid fee statement from that institution's records office. An official transcript of courses that were in progress prior to or during enrollment at University of Houston-Clear Lake should be sent to the Office of Admissions once the grades have been posted. If an applicant knowingly withholds information or submits fraudulent information regarding enrollment at another collegiate institution, his or her application at UHCL will be considered invalid and the students may be administratively withdrawn from classes without a refund of fees paid.

Documentation for Admission from International Institutions

International students must provide the Office of Admissions with official transcripts, mark (grade) sheets and confirmation of degrees or diplomas for all academic studies attempted at other colleges/universities, prior to enrollment. All students should provide official transcripts and/or mark sheets in the original language and an English translationdescribing all academic studies attempted and completed. This information must be received before the final evaluation can proceed. Transcripts should clearly indicate dates of attendance, subjects taken and marks (grades) earned. They should also reflect any degrees or diplomas awarded.

Official transcripts are to be sent directly to UHCL by the registrar, principal or responsible head of each institution attended. When this is not possible, documents certified by an embassy or consular official as "true copies" may be accepted. Uncertified copies will not be accepted.

The university makes a reasonable determination of courses completed outside of the United States. However, if requested by a specific school, international students may be required to submit an independent evaluation of their course work. This evaluation must be performed by an approved accrediting agency to determine accurate course equivalencies. An evaluation of this type will occur at the student's expense. A list of acceptable agencies can be found on UHCL's International Admissions Web site.

Repeated Transfer Courses

All attempted course work for credit will be counted in determining the transfer grade point average required for admissionsto a particular program or plan.

Records Retention and Release

Records from other institutions are kept on file for a period of five years. Former students who have not enrolled during the past five years must resubmit transcripts, documentation, and pay the application fee when reapplying to the university.

Once a document is submitted to UHCL, it becomes the property of the university and will not be returned or otherwise sent by e-mail, fax or mail to another institution or entity. Students may receive a copy of their previously submitted transcripts or scores, in person, by bringing a valid Texas Driver's License or ID to the Office of Admissions and completing a request form to release the information.

Encumbrance Holds or Service Indicators

An encumbrance hold will prevent students from registering for the next enrollment term until all appropriate admissions documentation is received. Failure to provide official documentation will activate holds that will hinder future registration attempts and stop the release of records, including UHCL transcripts. Encumbrances may vary by restriction and type and may also be placed by other offices or departments. Encumbrance holds at another University of Houston system campus (UH, UHV, UHD) will not hinder registration and/or enrollment at UHCL unless the hold is a "Cross Campus B91, B92, B93 or B99" financial hold. A cross campus financial hold must be cleared at the campus that placed the hold, prior to the student being eligible to register at another system campus.

Admissions Communications


The university assigned campus e-mail address is the official communication vehicle for all student information and exchanges among academic administrative offices. It is the student's responsibility to check e-mail regularly to assure they receive important university information in a timely manner. Students who choose to utilize e-mail addresses other than the one assigned to them by UHCL, must log in to E-Services and forward their e-mail to another valid e-mail account to ensure access to important information and requests.

Notification of Admission

Upon receipt of appropriatedocumentation, the Office of Admissions will determine the eligibility of applicants to the university and will notify them of this determination. After acceptance, applicants will be notified of registration dates and procedures.

Acceptance into a Degree Program

The acceptance of a student into a degree program is determined by the admission standards of each academic school or department. Credit earned at University of Houston-Clear Lake is not automatically counted toward the completion of a degree program. Applicable credit is applied once the CPS has been completed and signed by both the student and an appropriate department representative.

Readmission or Status Change Process

Former UHCL students

Former students seeking readmission should submit the following:

Former students are required to resubmit documents from other institutions for consideration of readmission if it has been more than five years since enrollment or if those items are no longer on file.

Students who leave the university on academic probation will be readmitted on probation. A degree-seeking student whose permission to register was terminated, due to academic deficiency, must be reinstated by the appropriate dean prior to readmission. Non-degree seeking students may be reinstated by the associate vice president of enrollment management.

Changing Classifications

To change academic careers from any undergraduate status to any graduate status (vice versa) or to change from non-degree seeking to degree-seeking, students must submit a new application to the Office of Admission and meet the appropriate admission criteria. Students who enroll in a degree-seeking status and wish to change to non-degree can do so by completing an Academic Records Change (ARC) in the academic advising office of their program. This change will be processed in the Office of Academic Records.

Admissions Requirements

Applicants who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher from an approved regionally accredited institution and who are eligible to return to the last institution attended will be considered for admission to graduate studies.Admission to the university does not ensure admission to degree candidacy in an academic discipline and separate admission criteria must be met within each school.

Graduate Admission Procedures

All applicants for graduate admission must present documented evidence that they meet the appropriate admissions requirements. International students have additionaldocumentation requirements (see Documentation for Admission from International Institutions).

Graduate Studies Applicants:

Applicants seeking admission to a graduate program must:

An applicant, who is degree-seeking, must also submit:

Transcripts should reach the Office of Admissions by the published deadlines for the semester in which the student plans to enroll. If documentation is not received by this time; or, if the documentation indicates that admission requirements have not been met, an encumbrance hold will be placed on the students' record (see Encumbrance Holds).

Applicants with pending bachelor degrees

Students applying to a graduate program, prior to receipt of a bachelor's degree, must submit official documentation that their application for graduation has not been denied. A letter of standing from the associate dean or registrar at their home institution is required. Students must earn their bachelor's degree prior to enrollment at University of Houston-Clear Lake and an official transcript with the degree posted must be received by the first day of classes.


Graduate non-degree students are those who wish to enroll for reasons other than the pursuit of a degree. Students wishing to enroll in a graduate non-degree-seeking status must submit an official transcript from the last institution attended and an official transcript showing the highest degree conferred. Credit earned in a non-degree status will not automatically be applicable to a specific academic degree program and some courses are restricted to only degree-seeking students. Additionally, some academic departments limit the number of hours that can be taken in a non-degree status and applied to a Candidate Plan of Study (CPS). Non-degree-seeking students planning to enroll in graduate course work in the School of Business must have permission from the associate dean or designee, prior to registering for classes. For specific policies regarding course availability and application, please refer to the appropriate academic program's section of this catalog.

Graduate Transient Status

Graduate students may be admitted to UHCL as transients for one semester. Students applying as transients generally plan to transfer course work to another institution. These students must submit official transcripts showing proof that a bachelor's degree or higher has been conferred. Students enrolling under this option, who decide to become degree-seeking, are required to reapply and pay the appropriate application fee. They must meet the university and academic program's current admission requirements (see Graduate Studies Applicants). Transients who wish to enroll in a second semester must obtain permission from the associate dean of their academic school of choice. They must then reapply by submitting a new application and application processing fee to the Office of Admissions.

Certificate Programs

Students, who apply to a certificate programwithout seeking a degree, must apply for admission, pay the application fee and submit transcripts from all previously attended institutions. Graduate test scores are not required. Since certificate programs are considered non-degree-seeking, students in this status arenot eligible for financial aid or Dollars for Scholars awards.

Teacher Certification

Applicants for teacher certification, who do not plan to pursue a graduate degree, should apply as a post-baccalaureate student.

Graduate Transfer Credit Information

Transfer of Graduate Credit

Master's degree programsrequire a minimum of 30 semester hours.The last 24 semester hours must be resident credit earned at University of Houston-Clear Lake. The possibility of transferring credit toward a master's degree is limited to no more than 12 semester credit hours, but in most instances may not exceed six semester credit hours.The Doctoral degree programrequires a minimum of 69 hours beyond the master's degree. The possibility of transferring credit toward the doctoral degree is limited to no more than 21 hours, but in most instances may not exceed 12 semester credit hours.Previously earned graduate creditis not necessarily applicable:

Graduate Application Deadlines

School of Human Sciences and Humanities

Clinical Programs

Clinical Psychology, Family Therapy, School of Psychology

December 10 through January 25(Both university and program applications are required).

Applied Behavior Analysis

Fall - March 15; Spring- October 15 (Both university and program applications are required).

School of Education


Fall - June 1; Spring - October 1(Both university and program applications are required).

Doctorate in Educational Leadership, Ed.D

Fall admission only - March 15 (Both university and program applications are required)

All Other New Graduate Students

Fall - August 1; Spring - December 1; Summer - May 1

Examinations for Graduate Candidacies

All new graduate students must provide standardized test results for the GRE, GMAT or MAT examinations to the Office of Admissions as required by their academic program (refer to the program's section of the catalog). Former students, pursuing a degree in a new academic area or program, may be required to take a different graduate examination prior to being admitted.

Scores must be received directly from the testing agency. Hand-carried or student copies of score results or those that are more than 5 years old at the time of applicationare considered unofficial and will not be accepted. Students enrolling in a non-degree-seeking status are exempt from the standardized test requirement; however, they are required to meet current admissions requirements and must reapply and pay the application fee before changing to a degree-seeking status.


  1. The university will waive the graduate test score requirement for applicants with an earned doctorate from an accredited U.S. institution, (e.g., Ph.D. or Ed.D). Graduate score exemptions will also apply to applicants who have earned an M.D., D.D.S. (or other appropriate dental degree) or J.D. degree and are licensed to practice in the United States.
  2. The School of Business will exempt applicants who have earned a graduate degree from a business school accredited by AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business).
  3. A Graduate Acceptance Committee in the School of Science and Engineering may request a Dean's exemption for applicants who have earned a graduate degree, in an appropriate field of study, from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
  4. Applicants to the School of Human Sciences and Humanities, who have earned at least a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work or who hold a master's degree or higher.
  5. Applicants to the School of Education who hold a master's degree or higher and have earned at least a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 hours of course work.

Telephone Numbers and Information

GRE, GMAT and MAT test center information is listed below. For more specific examination requirements by college, plan and major, please refer to the appropriate school's section of this catalog.

Graduate Record Examination (GRE) 1-609-771-7670 or 510-654-1200 Institution code = R6916
Miller Analogies Test (MAT) 1-800-622-3231
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) 1-800-717-4628

Select code by program of interest as follows:

  1. 1FD-BS-78 Master's in Healthcare Administration
  2. 1FD-BS-76 MBA, Full- Time
  3. 1FD-BS-08 MBA, Part Time
  4. 1FD-BS-45 MA in Human Resource Management
  5. 1FD-BS-29 MS in Accounting
  6. 1FD-BS-71 MS in Environmental Management
  7. 1FD-BS-86 MS in Finance
  8. 1FD-BS-81 MS in Management Information Systems
  9. 1FD-BS-93 MHA/MBA Joint Degree
  10. 1FD-BS-97 MS in Computer Information Systems (this majors accepts both GRE and GMAT scores)

International Admissions (back to top)

The application deadline dates for international applicants are as follows:

Spring October 1
Summer March 1
Fall June 1

Graduate international students must meet general admission requirements as noted in theGraduate Admission Procedures section of the catalog, in addition to the following:

  1. An International Graduate Application for admission (for applicants who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher and who wish to pursue a graduate degree)
  2. A non-refundable $75 application fee ($135.00 for applicants to the Educational Leadership Doctoral Program)

3.An official TOEFL or IELTS score report meeting minimum score requirements or official documentation of successful completion of ESL level 112 intensive English language program (please see the English proficiency requirement for non-US citizens).

4. A signed Sponsor's Affidavit

5.A signed Statement of Understanding

6.An International Student Adviser's Report (if currently attending an institution in the U.S.)

7.A copy of a current I-94 and SEVIS I-20 record (pages 1 and 3), if available

Please note:International students submitting foreign documents must follow University of Houston-Clear Lake procedures for the submission of this documentation (see Documentation for Admission from International Institutions)

Non-degree-seeking status

An international student holding F-1 visa status is not eligible to apply for admission to a non-degree-seeking status. An F-1 visa holder must apply as a degree-seeking student to a specific degree plan or program.

English Proficiency Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

All applicants, regardless of immigration status, who are citizens of countries where English is not the native language must demonstrate English proficiency. The intent of this policy is to insure that students for whom English is not a native language have a reasonable chance to succeed academically based on their ability to comprehend and use spoken and written English.

Applicants may satisfy the English proficiency requirement in one of several ways:

Score reports may not be more than two years old at the time of admission. Only official scores will be accepted.


Procedure to Apply for English Proficiency Waiver

A TOEFL exemption may apply, if at least one of the following requirements is met:

* An applicant whose native language is not English, but who has earned a bachelor's degree or higher form an English-speaking country, may request consideration for a TOEFL waiver. Applicants requesting a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS examination must submit a petition in writing, with supporting documentation, to the Office of Admissions a minimum of 30 days prior to the term in which they wish to enroll. The appropriate action will be taken only when full documentation is provided.

International Conditional Admission

International students who meet the institution's admissions requirements for their chosen degree program, but who have not yet met the English Proficiency requirement, can be conditionally admitted. To satisfy the English Proficiency requirement and be fully admitted to the university, the student must enroll in and successfully complete an ESL Level 112 intensive English program.

Co-Enrollment (International Students)

International students seeking a degree at University of Houston-Clear Lake may obtain an International Student Adviser's permission to co-enroll at another institution. A concurrent enrollment form must be obtained from a UHCL international adviser prior to registration in the appropriate school/department of concurrent enrollment. Proof of payment for concurrent enrollment at another institution of higher education must be provided to a UHCL international adviser for the current semester.

Health Insurance

All international students on F or J visas are required to have health insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. The university provides such insurance and automatically adds the premium to applicable tuition/fee statements. International students with private health insurance comparable to the university's coverage may request a waiver of the university's health insurance. Students must complete a waiver form and provide proof of insurance to the Office of Admissions (the university may request additional information as needed to verify appropriate coverage).

Students may mail or fax coverage information to the attention of International Admissions. Health insurance waiver requests will be accepted until the census date, which is the twelfth class day in spring and fall semesters and fourth class dayin regular summer terms.Requests for waivers or refunds after the census date will not be considered.


All international students holding F and J visas are required to meet with an international student adviser upon arriving to campus. Students must bring their passport, visa, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019 and official copies of their transcripts and other academic documents showing degree completion and final semester course work. Students should check the International Admissions Web site for dates and times of check-in.

University Policy Regarding Discretionary Authority (back to top)

The university reserves the right to reject any applicant whose record does not indicate potential success at University of Houston-Clear Lake, notwithstanding the completion of other requirements. The university also reserves the right to further evaluate any applicant by using psychological, achievement and/or aptitude tests and personal interviews. Additionally, the university reserves the right to reject any applicant who falsifies information that is submitted for admission consideration or used to determine admissibility to the university. Readmission may be denied to any former students who has falsified university documents or who has used a university official's signature inappropriately, for personal benefit or gain.

Academic Advising (back to top)

University of Houston-Clear Lake is committed to providing the most appropriate and effective academic direction, assistance and support for all students. At UHCL, the function of academic advising is provided directly through the four schools: Human Sciences and Humanities, Science and Computer Engineering, Business, and Education. Matters affecting degree requirements and graduation are best handled by professional advising staff and faculty working directly within the individual academic areas.Each school within UHCL has developed unique advising procedures to best serve the needs of its students. The relationship between students and their adviser provides the opportunity to learn more about educational choices and objectives, degree requirements, academic policies and procedures, and university resources. All students are strongly urged to contact their academic adviser prior to registering for their first semester at UHCL.

Ultimately, the students are responsible for seeking adequate academic advice, knowing and following degree requirements, noting and meeting important academic deadlines, and enrolling in appropriate courses to ensure timely progress toward a degree. A successful academic experience hinges on partnership and communication shared by the students and the advisers.

What you can expect from your adviser:

  1. Evaluation of your transcripts
  2. Adequate office hours and availability throughout the semester
  3. Assistance with registration course selections
  4. Accurate information regarding degree requirements and degree plans
  5. Assistance with evaluation of syllabi/course descriptions to determine acceptability of transfer course work
  6. Accurate audit of your CPS, upon request, to determine your progress toward graduation
  7. Assistance identifying solutions to academic difficulties
  8. Helpful referral to other university resources for additional assistance
  9. Appropriate confidentiality
  10. Respect, support and encouragement

What is expected of you as a student:

  1. Attend New Student Orientation
  2. Learn who your adviser is and where the advising office for your school is located
  3. Contact your adviser before deviating from requirements specified on your degree plan
  4. Contact your adviser when you need help BEFORE your issue is urgent!
  5. Keep track of your academic progress and your degree plan each semester
  6. Know university and school requirements and policies that may affect you
  7. Learn about and make use of all resources on campus
  8. Keep appointments that you schedule
  9. Follow through on adviser recommendations
  10. Be responsible for planning your course of study and fulfilling all requirements and procedures
  11. Accept ultimate responsibility for your decisions and actions
  12. Respect and comply with deadlines and requests for needed academic documents

How to Prepare for a Meeting with Your Adviser

Become familiar with the advising process in your chosen school. Make sure your adviser has your most current contact information. Plan ahead and ask questions so your academic progress, decision-making and attainment of your university degree can be achieved with utmost success.

Advising Offices/Information
Bayou Building
Room Phone E-mail
School of Business B2111 281 283-3110
School of Education B1231 281 283-3600
School of Human Sciences and Humanities B1539 281 283-3333
School of Science and Computer Engineering B3611 281 283-3711
Distance & Off-Campus Education B1406* 281-283-3031
Student Services and Classroom Building
Career and Counseling Services (for non-degree-seeking students) S3109 281 283-2590
*for more information go to